Chapter Fifty-Two

Omg I love love LOVE this chapter!!! I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~(Y/N)'s POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As carefully as I could, I dabbed concealer under my chin, trying to cover the marking that Lightning had left on my skin. The small cut had scabbed over quickly, but every time I looked in the mirror I winced, thinking about that day. Every time I looked at the healing tissue, I thought about how I could have died that day. He could have killed me. He was sent to protect me, and he had held me at sword point, the tip of the sharp steel digging into my skin as I struggled to breath. A shiver raced down my spine at the thought, and I let out a shaky breath, looking at myself in the mirror.

My makeup was partially done, I still had a few finishing touches, and I still had to figure out something to do with my hair. Today was the day of my father and Mio's wedding. For some reason, I was insanely nervous. I had no idea why my hands were sweaty and my heart was racing. It wasn't my wedding. Sure, I was in it, but this was all about my father and Mio. I was just a bride's maid. Well, actually, I was the maid of honor, my brother taking the place of my father's best man.

I sighed as I looked in the mirror, suddenly wishing I had Mephisto's powers so I could make my hair exactly how I wanted it to be. I had never done too much with my hair, always leaving it down or putting it up in a simple bun. My looks had never been a huge concern of mine. I was too busy trying keeping my grades up in school to worry about shallow things like how I looked. In the end, it didn't matter how I looked. My family loved me for me, and I had the most wonderful boyfriend I could ever ask for. A boyfriend who reminded me on the daily that he 'wasn't dating me for my looks, but it was an added bonus'. A shy smile worked its way across my lips as I thought about it, a soft blush covering my cheeks as I thought about Bon. I knew no one was perfect, but he sure was pretty close.

I was torn from my giddy bliss when there was a knock on the door to the bathroom. I jumped at the sudden noise but quickly shook it off, reaching over to open the door. Outside stood Mio, her hair in a half up half down do. Small strands of hair were curled and framing her face. Her bright makeup made her dark eyes pop even more.

"Wow, you look amazing, Mio," I gushed, unable to keep my excitement from spilling over. She really did look absolutely stunning. Even though she was still only dressed in a robe, she looked amazing.

"Thank you, (Y/N)," she said, a smile on her lips. "You look beautiful," she commented, causing me to blush. "You look just like those pictures of your mom that your dad showed me; a beautiful young lady," she continued, reaching over to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Thanks," I said, looking up at the woman who would be my father's wife by the end of the day. "I don't know what to do with my hair," I muttered, looking down again.

"I'll do it," Mio instantly offered, moving into the bathroom.

"Y-you don't have to do that. This is your wedding day. This is supposed to be all about you," I stuttered out. She only smiled at me, ignoring my comment with a question.

"What do you want to be done to it?" she said, grabbing a comb and pulling it through my hair. I stayed silent, not believing that she was going to do this for me. It was her wedding day! I saw her eyebrows raise in the mirror.

"I normally just leave it down or pull it back," I muttered, not meeting her eyes. It was silent for a moment before she spoke again.

"Should I surprise you? If you don't like it I could always take it out," she offered as she continued to run the comb through my hair. I nodded after a moment, wondering if this was what having a mother was like. "Alright," she said. "Remember, you can tell me if you don't like it," she reminded me softly. I nodded once more. "Okay," she whispered. She directed me to sit on the closed toilet seat so she could have better access to my hair. I followed her instructions, letting her do her work, letting myself drift off into a daydream as she combed, teased, curled, and pinned my hair into place. I didn't know the last time someone had done my hair, well, except for what Mephisto did it before that meeting. But that was magic. This was real and in the moment.