Chapter Thirty-Seven

Whelp. Writer's block has made it so that this is last prepared chapter, so please be patient with my posting schedule. It may vary. Just note, I'm not giving up on this book! I love writing it so this is far from the end.

"Keep us here as long as possible. Focus on fighting but also of keeping the connection," Katsuro instructed calmly as we sparred. We had been sparring for about fifteen minutes, and I was already exhausted. The stress of holding the two demons in Assiah and fighting Katsuro at the same time was taking its toll on my body and mind. I was drenched in sweat, and my thoughts weren't coming as clearly. The mental strain was making my movements slower and weaker than normal.

On the other hand, the dark skinned demon had yet to break a sweat. I was going angry because I could he was going easy on me, slowing his movements to match mine. He kept a straight face, not letting me know anything. His eyes revealed nothing. He simply fought me carefully.

Katsuro's image suddenly faltered. "Watch, (Y/N)!" he scolded in his normal, cold voice. "Focus," he instructed, a little softer that time. The fight went on for a few minutes before I stumbled back from the fight, putting my hands up in surrender. I was working myself harder than I ever had before, and I was at my breaking point. I couldn't fight him and keep him here at the same time.

Suddenly feeling dizzy, I swayed a little bit before hitting my knees. There was instantly something next to me, and I knew immediately that it was Shura. "Easy, (Y/N)," she said. "Stay with me."

"I'm fine," I said, pushing her away slightly. "Just a little dizzy," I told her. She grumbled something under her breath that I didn't catch.

"Don't push yourself," Shura said, her voice hard, leaving no room for argument. I nodded and sagged against her a little bit, accepting my defeat a little. "You're doing just fine," she assured me, patting my shoulder softly. "You're doing better than anyone ever has before. You've gone farther and pushed yourself harder than anyone could have expected," she told me, causing me to smile a little bit.

"She's right," Katsuro said, stepping up to us. I looked up at the dark skinned demon and gave me a weary smile. Any praise, no matter how small, was good. It was rare to hear anything like that come from the male demon. "You're doing better than any of our masters before," he praised. "But listen to your teacher; don't push yourself so hard. You're doing just fine," he repeated.

"In that case," I said weakly. "I'm not sure how long I can keep you guys here," I admitted. Katsuro smirked.

"That's fine," he told me. "Call when you need us, but don't be running yourself into the ground. We need you strong." I nodded at the demons words I waved a small good bye before letting go of the connection. Shura stood up with a sigh.

"Stretch it out, and then you can go. You can't go falling behind on your studies," she reminded me. I nodded and began to stretch, but I was slightly distracted. I was having an inner argument. I was torn between telling Bon what was going on or not. I wanted to tell him, but I didn't want him to get hurt. "What is it, kid?" Shura asked. "You think any harder and your brains gonna burst." I smiled weakly at her joke.

"Do-do I tell Ryuji or not?" I asked, looking up at my teacher. She looked thoughtful for a minute.

"I know this really isn't what you want to hear, but I can't decide that for you. Only you can decided what you tell him. You need to weigh your options," she explained. I nodded, looking down at the ground as I continued to stretch.

"I hate keeping stuff from him, but I don't want him to get hurt," I said.

"That's up for you to decided," she repeated. "But you don't have to decide right now. Take your time, and weigh your options," she advised. I nodded, her advice being sound. "Come on," she said extending a hand. "I think Rin is making dinner tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~Bon's POV~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat at the dining room table, a few books and papers laid out in front of me. I had a pencil in my hand, trying to take notes, but my thoughts were not on school work. No matter how hard I tried, I could not focus on the task at hand. No matter what I did, my thoughts remained on (Y/N).

Something was different. Something was off. She didn't seem like the same girl I had asked to be my girlfriend. It was like the first day of school all over again; she was distancing herself. I was beginning to see less and less of her. In her free time, she was either with Shura or cooped up in her room. At first I thought she was just taking a nap or studying, but ever since we had started dating, I had not known (Y/N) to nap, and she barely ever studied. She was too hyper for that. She could never stay in one place for very long. Everything was slightly different with her. Her mood, her personality, hell, even her kisses felt strange!

I sighed heavily and leaned back in seat at the kitchen table. My hand came up to squeeze the bridge of my nose with my forefinger and thumb. I was at a loss of what to do. "Ryuji?" I turned to see my father standing in the doorway of the kitchen. "Are you alright, son?" he asked, coming into the room further to stand by my chair.

"If I'm being honest, no," I said, looking up at my father. I knew we had never really gotten along after I left, but he had kept his relationship with my mom pretty well, so I figured he'd have some good advice. "I'm not okay at all," I admitted quietly. My father took the seat to my left. He looked at me expectantly, waiting for me to explain, and I did so. When I finished, he sat silently for a moment, looking thoughtful.

"You love this girl don't you?" he asked. I takes aback by the question.

"Of course I do!" I exclaimed indignantly. "I just-she's changed," I said, not sure how else to describe it.

"Ryuji," my father began, putting a hand on my shoulder. "From what you're telling me, it sounds like she might be going through a rough time." The look on my face must have looked angry because he continued quickly. "I know it might seem like a simple issue, but you never know what could be going on," he reminded me, and I nodded slowly. "If you really truly love her, you'll wait until she's ready to tell you, and you'll be there to support her." I nodded again, but one recurring thought kept popping up in my mind. It was one of my biggest insecurities of our relationship, and I really didn't want to bring it up, but my father seemed to notice something was still wrong. "What is it, Ryuji?" he asked.

"What-what if she's cheating on me?" I asked quietly, hoping he wouldn't hear me, but he did.

"Oh, Ryuji," he sighed. "I can see that (Y/N) not that kind of girl," he said. "Even though I don't know her all that well, I can see that she would never do that. I can see the way she looks at you. She loves you, Ryuji," he said. I nodded, letting his words sink in. I thought about it. (Y/N) felt guilty over the littlest things, even if they weren't her fault. She wouldn't do that to me. "Ryuji, look at me," my father requested, and I looked over at him. "Don't keep this all bottled up, son." He patted my shoulder with a small smile. "Come to me if you need anything, okay? That what I'm here for," he said. I smiled a little bit.

"Thanks, dad," I muttered. He smiled and stood up.

"I'm just glad I could help you with something for once," he said before leaving the room, leaving me to get back to studying.

Sorry for the short chapter. Hope you enjoyed it though!