Chapter Fifty-Four

Wow, umm, it's been like a month. Thanks for being so patient, life, as always, has been crazy. I'm working really hard on getting my second draft of my manuscript written, and I have finals this week, and a bunch of other obligations. Once again, thanks for being so patient! I hope you enjoy this new chapter (it's kinda long)! Let me know with a vote and/or comment! Enjoy!
-Kai

The first thing I became aware of was the pain. It was a pounding pain; an all-over pain. I could not correctly gauge the pain, it was a new kind of pain, but it didn't feel as bad as a migraine. That I was thankful for. My brain was fuzzy too. My thoughts were all muddled. They were slow, unsure, and out of order. I couldn't put anything together that made any sort of sense.

The next thing I became aware of was the voices. There were a few different ones, but my thoughts were too jumbled to put a name to a face. I didn't even want to think about trying to connect multiple voices to multiple faces. What I really wanted to do was go back to sleep to try and get rid of this headache.

There was suddenly something touching my neck, and I immediately tried to move away from the offending object, a feeble whimper escaping my lips. The voices suddenly got closer and subsequently louder. All of a sudden, there were hands all over the place, touching my face, neck, and shoulders. There was a sudden roar and then abrupt silence. A hand threaded through my hand before a soft voice spoke right next to my ear.

"(Y/N)?" I heard the person ask. That voice was very familiar. It was male, that much I knew. "(Y/N), can you hear me?" they continued. I scrunched my face before opening my eyes. At first, my vision was blurry but it slowly settled in on the person who was in front of me. Worried blue eyes finally swam into my vision. Rin. I felt a small bit of relief wash over my body when I realized I was with my brother. His presence was comforting. I knew I was safe when I was with him.

"Hi," I managed to get out though the single syllable was slurred as all get out. The boy in front of me scoffed. I noticed the tears trailing down his face from his shining blue orbs. I wanted to comfort him, to wash away his tears, but my arms and mouth didn't want to work.

"You go and pull a stunt like that, and all you have to say is 'hi'?" he said as he shook her head at me. I didn't miss the small smile on her face. "You scared the shit out of me, kiddo," he said. I frowned, not understanding. I swallowed past the lump in my throat and forced a few words out.

"W-what h-happened?" I managed. Rin frowned and looked up, presumably at another person before looking back down at me.

"You don't remember?" he asked patiently. His voice had hardened slightly. I shook my head but quickly stopped when my vision swam, all the colors blending together and causing me to become slight nauseous. I groaned slightly and closed my eyes.

"Some people remember the entire incident and others don't; it all depends on the case," a deeper voice said. That voice was familiar as well, but it didn't bring the same comforting feeling that Rin's did. Instead, it made me fearful and anxious. I wanted away from that person as soon as possible.

There was a sudden loud bang, and I screwed my eyes shut tighter as my head pounded in time with the bang. Another whimper left my lips as I tried to shy away from the sound. Then there was a hand on my head, soft and gentle, fingers threading through my hair. Another voice entered the fray. This new voice was also familiar and comforting. I opened my eyes to see another familiar face. It was Yukio. I sighed and closed my eyes again, knowing I was with people who would protect me.

"What happened?" Yukio demanded, his voice harsh and sounded much older than fifteen. "Open those eyes, (Y/N). Let me take a look," he said, his voice softer as he spoke into my ear. I opened my eyes and looked at the man. "We're going to stay on your side just like that, okay?" he asked as he nodded, his teal eyes wide and observant. He looked up for a moment, the previous glare back and more menacing than ever. "Well?" he growled at the people who were standing behind me. They didn't speak, so he whipped his gaze around to where RIn was kneeling by my head.