Part 11 |WHAT HAPPENED AFTER|

One arrow I can handle. It's painful, but I'll live. Now, two arrows? that's just mean. 

I cry out in pain and try to catch my breath. I did not come this far to be taken out by a bloody pair of arrows! I lift my arm to reach for one, but even breathing hurts the muscle tissue around the wounds. 

"Argh, I'm gonna kill that bloody archer!" 

I can hear Edmund's in no better condition. His breaths are becoming shorter and longer and he gasps for air with difficulty. Suddenly, I hear someone approach from behind him. 

I manage to sit up (painfully) and spot a black dwarf holding an axe above his head just a few meters away from us. I look for a shield nearby, but there is no such thing within my reach. I go for my sword instead, but the pain stops my arm from lifting it.

"No!" I cry out at the same time as Susan (where did she come from!?!) shouts out Edmund's name and shoots an arrow the dwarf, killing him instantly. 

I sigh in relief as Susan approaches her brother to care for him. No longer my responsibility, fantastic. She gives me a quick worried look but I just nod to her, thankful for killing that dwarf. I pull my knees up to me and rest my head on them, what a day! Someone else approaches and I reach for my sword instinctively, but it turns out to be Peter and Lucy. Huh, they're here too, that's nice. They throw me a quick look but I just hold up a thumbs up. They are far too preoccupied about Edmund to ask me any questions. Peter kneels next to him and Edmund's breaths get shorter and quieter until suddenly they stop. Aslan's mane, he's not... dead, is he? His siblings are teary-eyed as if he were, but then Lucy gives him a drop of her magic cure-all potion, I had completely forgotten about it, and after a couple of seconds he starts breathing and coughing and the colour returns to his face. He's alive! Oh, that's great. 

Peter pulls him into a hug almost immediately. "When are you gonna learn to do as you're told?" He asks him in good spirits. Edmund just smiles at him and is pulled into a hug by his sisters. 

I hear something moving to our left and when I turn I see Aslan (I guess the news of his death were wrong?) blow into a soldier who's been turned into stone by the Witch. I watch in amazement as stone turns into flesh and life returns to the soldier. Whoa, I guess that's what I looked like a few days ago. 

Lucy picks up her cordial and turns her attention to me. She's about to give me some of her magic juice but I stop her.

"Hold on, you have to pull them out first," I inform her.

She gives me a confused look.

"The arrows," I explain. "You have to take them out before healing me," Her eyes turn wide open and she looks scared at the words I've just said. She reaches for the one sticking out of my shoulder but stops herself before touching the arrow.

"I-I don't think I can," she says. 

"I'll do it," Peter says from behind me and I turn around to look at him. "Just tell me what to do,"

"Alright. You'll want to grab the arrow tightly as close as you can to its head and pull it out very quickly," I explain. 

"Okay, I think I've got it," He grabs my shoulder with one hand, keeping it in place, and with his other hand grabs the arrow as I told him to.

"On the count of three?" I ask him. I've got to prepare myself. 

"One," He starts counting, "Two," but before he gets to three pulls. 

Needless to say, I wasn't ready. 

"AGH!" I immediately cry out in pain and he stops. The arrow is still in my shoulder and now it hurts ten times worse. Bloody hell, it takes all my self-control not to start cussing. I take a few breaths and blink a couple of times trying to keep my head straight. "What the hell happened to three?!" I ask annoyed but laughing.