Part 31 | THE NEW YEAR |

1000, NEW YEAR'S EVE

IMIRA'S POV.

I walk into the hall wearing my smooth red dress escorted by my cousins Dean and Darren. I have adorned my hair with gold leaves and tiny pearls, and wear shiny black earrings that go along with my black silk mask. We get some wine, dance.

Nearly at 11, I find my brother sitting in his throne while Hayley mingles in the crowd looking happy, sipping wine. I go stand next to him and sit on the throne on its right arm.

"Good party, brother," I say to James, nudging him a bit. 

"I know right," he smiles proudly. If there's one thing he's great at, it's throwing parties. "You're having fun?"

"Absolutely, I'm having a blast," I tell him with a huge grin. 

"You know, you should visit more often, we miss you a lot," he says, taking my hand and staring a thumb war. 

"I know, I miss you too. It's just that there's a lot going on in Narnia right now," I tell him as I concentrate on beating him. 

"Are you happy?" he asks me, staring at my agile thumb. 

"Yes, I love my job," I say, evading his trap. 

"Good to hear sis," he says as I stomp his thumb undermine, though I suspect he has always let me win. "Hey, that's your favourite song! Let's dance," he says standing up and pulling me up.

"Let's."

We dance and then we talk and laugh with Maxwell and Rebekah and Dean. Darren has gone off to dance with some girl, there's always girls interested in him, he's a very good looking lad.

"Hey, remember the Christmas in 988? The one we spent on-" Dean asks.

"On the manor, yes. How could I forget? You chased me around the house with a naked mole rat trying to get me to kiss it and then wrapped it up and gave it to me as a Christmas present! How could I forget!" I tell him.

"Mother was so not pleased," James says with a laugh. 

"Haha, yes, the good times," Dean says with a sigh. 

"Hey, what did you call it? Was it..." Maxwell says.

"Sir Ratticus," We all say at the same time and laugh.

"Oh, I couldn't stand that little guy! His skin was so freaky! Ugh, just to think about touching it gives me the thills, like those bald cats! Ugh, no thanks." Rebekah says. We all laugh.

"Hey, whatever happened to Sir Ratticus?" Dean asks.

"Oh, we placed it back in the garden," James tells him.

"What? On Christmas? He probably froze!" Dean complains amusingly.

"Well, I wasn't going to keep him! James didn't want it," I say. 

"No I did not," James adds. 

"Rebekah thought it was gross, and Max kept saying he'd find me another one. No thanks! One was more than enough." We all laugh. 

"Hey, everyone! It's almost midnight!" Someone shouts from the midst of the crowd. We all turn to look at the crowd.

"Ten. Nine. Eight. Seven." We start chanting. Waiters walk around with Champaign glasses. I take one. "Six. Five. Four. Three. Two. One. Happy new year!" We all say merrily. Couples start kissing. Friends embrace.

Someone pokes my shoulder and I turn around to find "Peter! You're here! What? When did you get here?" I ask very surprised and extremely happy to see him.

"Hey! Happy New Year!" He says before kissing me.

I kiss him back. "Happy New Year to you too." I say to him and give him a hug, "When did you get here?" I ask him.

"A few hours ago, King Lune invited us to Archenland for his New Year's party, I decided it was close enough to Datram I might as well come and visit you." He explains.

"That's wonderful! Are your sibling with you?" I ask him.

"No, it's just me." He tells me.

"Hey, Peter, glad you could make it!" James tells him. 

"James! Thanks for inviting me!" Peter replies. 

"You knew about this?" I ask James, slapping his arm. 

"Of course I knew," he smiles smugly at me, but I decided to let it go. 

"Where are you staying?" I ask turning to face Peter. 

"At Maxwell's." He replies. 

"Wait, Max, you knew about this too?!" I ask my friend.

"Yeah, Peter sent me a letter yesterday. I told him he could stay at my hall," Max tells me.

"You sneaky little..."I punch his arm lightly, but Max only chuckles. "Oh, Peter, this is Dean and over there," I say pointing at the crowd, "is his brother Darren. My cousins." 

"Hullo, nice to meet you!" Peter says. 

"Nice to meet you too, Your Majesty," Dean says. 

"Hey, that's my favourite song again! Come on, let's dance!" I say pulling Peter with me.

We dance and drink and play games and chat and laugh until the sun rises and then some more. People start falling asleep here and there, some on the couches, some shamelessly on the floor, most of them make it to their rooms but some fall asleep on their way there.

"Wow, you Datramites really know how to party," Peter says as we walk out of the hall with my friends.

"There are two things every Datramite's good at, fighting and partying," Max says smiling while holding Rebekah by the waist, who is very sleepy and tired and just a tad too drunk.

Peter returns to Archenland at noon, having slept only a few hours, but I stay at Datram for five more days and return to Cair Paravel on the sixth. 

THANKS FOR READING, COMMENT WHAT YOU'D LIKE TO SEE NEXT.