Part 80 | ONE FINAL SECRET |

This is the last chapter of this book. Thank you so much for reading. Don't forget to read Book 2 to find out what happens next! [Published Dec/25/2019]

JAMES 

JAMES 

As she walked past him James smiled, glad his sister had found the very happiness that eluded him. But his happiness was brisked away as a thought popped into his head. The memory of a very well kept secret he had only come to learn as of recent. He quickly masked his discontent with a much too practised smile as he thought about sharing it with his sister. But, what would she gain if he did so? It wouldn't change that which was already done, and it wasn't like it was his fault. He had had no say in the matter. Still, he felt like he owed her the truth. After their meeting the previous day, he wondered again if he should tell her. Since he learned about it he never managed to figure out if it was the right thing to do or if it was selfish. Or perhaps it was selfish to keep her in the dark. He felt conflicted and angry at the position he was left with, between the sword and the wall. A position he was not comfortable in. Both options made him feel like a shitty brother, but still, he smiled at her as she walked on.

Power, or love? Which would you choose? James chose power, not that he had much of a choice, the plan was set in motion ages ago, though he did like what it gave him. He had ripped the benefits all his life. And with him taking power he felt he had stripped it away from his sister. For it was she who was born first as he had recently learned. No, but it wasn't his choice, was it? His father made that choice for him when they were born. To hide the truth from everyone and say James had been born first. By taking her birthright and giving it to him. She had been born to rule Datram and James was meant to play seconds. Had their father believed a son was better suited to rule the realm and proclaimed James his firstborn when in fact it was the other way around? That sounded awfully misogynistic, their father wasn't anything like that. 

And now here he was, watching as his sister who was born to rule Datram as its righteous Queen became the consort of a foreign monarch without any real power to wield but that which Peter granted her. Was he doing the wrong thing by remaining King of Datram and preventing his sister from ascending to the throne? Or had he spared her from a great burden and freed her to do as she pleased with her life? Maybe he had done the right thing by not informing her about the truth. Or maybe he had been selfish by not stepping down months ago when he found out. He could have told her then and freed himself of it all, including the arranged marriage. He could have been free to do as he pleased for once in his life if he had just told her. But then she would have had to sacrifice her happiness and her freedom. He couldn't bring himself to do that to her. He could see she was happy and didn't want to ruin that for her. She would have ended up having to go through an arranged marriage as well. Not on his watch!

"Are you alright?" Hayley asked, lightly touching his arm to get his attention and jolting him from his internal conflict.

"Hmm?"

🎉 You've finished reading 𝑵𝒂𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒂: 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑮𝒐𝒍𝒅𝒆𝒏 𝑨𝒈𝒆 𝑩𝒐𝒐𝒌 𝑰 (Narnia fanfic) 🎉