Part 14 |NEGOTIATIONS|

Year: 1000. Month: June

Two weeks later

Two weeks later...

We stand at the entrance of the palace, waiting for them to arrive. Me, James, Hayley, Maxwell, and Rebekah. The welcoming party. We were notified of their arrival and came right away to welcome them.  After some minutes of waiting I spot the Narnian banner and behind it, Edmund and Peter riding through the gates, followed by their entourage of diverse Narnians.  Hmmm... I thought their sisters would be coming as well. I suppose someone had to stay behind.

Introductions are made, handshakes are exchanged and soon enough I find myself giving the two Kings a tour of the Palace. James and Hayley had matters to attend and Maxwell and Rebekah came up with an excuse to leave. 

I show them to the throne room, the ball room, the music room, the training yard, point to the stables, the grand garden and the mausoleum, and take them to the greenhouse. 

"My grandmother, Queen Helena The Wise had this built after the great spring fever epidemic of 941 so we'd always have a safe source of food in case of another outbreak," I explain as we look inside. The greenhouse has rows and rows of all sorts of fruits and vegetables planted, all arranged by colour making for a beautifully ordered array of food. 

"What's this spring fever you speak of?" Peter asked. 

"An awful illness that nearly wiped out the entire royal family. It killed King James the fourth, his heir, his sisters, cousins, Queen Rosælynn the first Queen of Datram, my namesake, Queen Imira Zhal-Gæl, the entire Goldstone family and nearly all the Ardens. Not to mention all the peasants that died. It was, in every sense of the word, a terrible disease," 

"Sounds awful," Edmund said, looking around as if he were in a museum, which in some ways, he is. 

"Yes. But no one has seen a case in over fifty years, so I'd say you're safe," I told him reassuringly. "Now, if we go this way," I said, walking forwards, "we'll get to my favorite part of the castle," 

I push a hidden door on the wall and we enter the Gallery. "This part's opened to the peasants four days of the week, although the Lords and Ladies can come in any day if they want. This," I said, raising my arms towards the pictures, "is every King and Queen, Prince and Princess who has ever lived in or ruled Datram," 

I take them around the room and tell them about anyone they ask about. 

"Blimey! Who's that?" Edmund asks, stopping in front of a portrait I am very familiar with. 

"One of my favourites, my namesake Imira Zhal -Gæl, The Dragonrider," I inform him, smiling. 

"She sounds awesome," Edmund says. 

I stare up at the portrait with a smile. My namesake riding her green dragon in a black leather suit and a blue cape looking absobloodylutely fantastic. "She was. You know, if it wasn't for her, the Witch would have invaded Datram," 

"Really?" Edmund asks, giving me his undivided attention. 

I nod at him. "Oh, yes. Her dragon, Ruteirth, stood guard while The Gate was built stopping any and all the enemies who attempted crossing," 

"Nice," Edmund said with a yawn. 

"Oh, I'm so sorry, you must be tired from the trip. I'll show you to your rooms," 

My brother throws a banquet for the Kings and the next morning, after enjoying breakfast, we all gather at the Grand Meeting Chamber

"Datram was once a Principality of Narnia, ruled by the King's brother," James starts explaining. "A city of luxury for royalty to vacation at. But ever since the White Witch invaded Narnia we have become a safe haven for those who escaped her invasion. And, as you are aware, Datram split from Narnia and established its own regime; the prince became King and Datram became its own independent Kingdom," he pointed to the map before him to make his case. "We have always been loyal to the Narnian Empire, after all, our family used to rule Narnia," he reminded them. James likes asserting his power like such. "and we intend to keep our loyalties the same. But for over a century, my family has ruled over Datram, with me as its latest King. High King Peter, King Edmund, what I propose is an alliance between our countries, an alliance between Kings and loyal servants of Aslan." Ah, it's a wise choice of words like that which make him sound more appealing. "Let us form a coalition. Let Datram rejoin the Narnian Empire, not as a Principality, but as a Kingdom of its own." 

"With you as its King?" Peter aserted. 

"Yes," James tells him. "With me as the head of a sovereign government completely autonomous from Narnia," 

"Then what do we get out of forming this coalition?" Peter asked very seriously. 

"Apart from many trading and taxing benefits and titles for Your Majesties," he said, looking at him and Edmund, "the strength of numbers and allies," James said. "It is all very clear in the documents before you. Feel free to examine them with due care. I trust you'll find these accords satisfactory, " 

"We shall see," said Peter, taking up the pages before him. 

"We'll give you a moment then," James said with a polite smile, standing up. We all stood as he did, all except for Peter and Edmund. Us Datramites followed my brother through the doors to the adjacent sitting room and waited for about two hours until they had examined everything. 

What followed that was a long period of negotiations of things such as taxes, tribute, armies, and alliances, which meant having lunch in there, but ultimately Peter and Edmund agreed to the proposed terms. 

"You have come to our aid in our time of need and fought by our side. We accept your terms."

Everybody shook hands and they proceeded to sign the documents. 

"One more thing," James said as he was about to sign, earning wary looks from the Narnians. "I want my sister to be my intermediary, Ambassador of Datram," he tells them. I was wondering when he'd bring that up. 

Peter and Edmund exchange looks, the latter giving his older brother a shrug. 

"Sounds like a great idea," 

DON'T FORGET TO LIKE AND COMMENT! <3