Part 52 | EAST WATCH & MIDDLETOWN |

April 12, 1002

April 12, 1002

LUCY'S POV

Imira and Sir Threston came down to join us and we rode out of The Gate. Sir Threston rode ahead, Imira and I following behind him.

The sun had barely come out and there was a lot of fog. A few birds sang here and there, and the trees were tall and gloomy.

"Is all of Datram this gloomy?" I asked, making everyone in our group laugh.

Imira laughs lightly at my question. "It's only grey and gloomy because it's the early morning. The fog usually clears out by eight. The further in we go, the greener it'll get,"

Within ten minutes of ridding at a rather fast pace, we reached the outskirts of what I presumed was the town of East Watch. My suspicions were confirmed soon after we crossed a bridge and Sir Threston announced, I presume mostly to me, that we were, in fact, arriving at said town.

Townsfolk were already out and about as we made our way across to reach the lodging. The shieldmaidens were already there, prepping the horses and getting the waggon ready.

Since we were going to spend the entire day on horseback I took the opportunity to dismount and explore a bit while Imira talked with sisters Alcibe and Eurybe.

Nick followed me, Queens-guarding as usual, and showed me around a bit.

"There's really nothing very interesting here, your Majesty," he said as I asked him about the town. "It's mostly just the families of the soldiers of The Gate,"

"Who lives there?" I asked, pointing at a house far larger and prettier than the rest.

"Oh, that's Will's house," Sir Threston said recognizing it immediately.

"You know the Lord?"

"Not a Lord, your Majesty, he's a soldier at the gate. But yes, I know him. He's my friend. We met when I joined the army years ago. And then when I moved to work at The Gate, he let me stay with him, in his house. I'm surprised I haven't seen him yet. ,"

"Well, he sure lives like a Lord,"

"Yeah, lucky bastard,"

"What?"

"Nothing. We should probably head back, Your Majesty. We've got a long ride ahead," Nick said, standing sideways.

"But don't you want to say hello to your friend?" I asked him looking back at the house.

"If he wasn't at The Gate he's probably not home. I'll catch him on our way back," He said giving the nice house one last glance.

We walked back to the horses. On our way back I couldn't resist the smell coming from the bakery and purchased some baked goods for us all.