Part 27 | DOORN |

AUTUMN 1000

AUTUMN 1000

|3rd PERSON POV |

"Land in sight!" shouted the man in the bows.

Imira ran to the forecastle behind Peter and Edmund. Indeed, there, on the far west she was able to spot a small land mass getting closer by the second. 

Peter holds out a scope and looks through it. He hands it to Edmund, who looks intently though it. "It must be Doorn," Peter says. Edmund nods in agreement "looks like it" he says and hands Imira the scope so she can see for herself. Narnian flags fly on top of almost every visible building. The island is large and not very tall, with grassy fields and white colored buildings with red roofs. Doorn now lay before them, divided from Felimath by a channel about a mile wide; behind it and to the left lay Avra. The little white town of Narrowhaven on Doorn was easily seen as they got closer. 

At about noon they reached the port of Narrowhaven and Peter, Edmund and Imira, along with most of the royal guard, disembarked.  

At the jetty at Narrowhaven, they found a considerable crowd assembled to meet them, and as soon as Peter and Edmund stepped on sight the crowd broke out into hurrahs and shouts of, "Narnia! Narnia! Long live the king." 

They couldn't help but to smile at the warm welcome they received. The gangway was layed for them to disembark. 

"Captain, restock the ship," Peter ordered. "We'll be back by dawn." 

"Yes, Your Majesty," the captain replied and started giving orders around the ship. 

Edmund was the first to step on the gangway, followed by Peter, Imira and the Royal Guard.  

As they descended they waved and smiled at the cheering crowd. Peter offered Imira a hand to step off the gangway and she took it graciously. She thought he'd let her go once she was on land since they were not much for public displays of affection, but he held on to her as he led her through the crowd. She looked down at their intertwined hands and then up at him. He gave her a smile with she mirrored and they walked through the crowd. 

"This is new," she said to him glancing at their hands. 

"It felt right," he replied with a smile. 

They walked down the jetty and were met at mainland by the Island's armed forces Commander. He welcomed them to the islands and offered them horses. They mounted and rode through Narrowhaven and to the castle. 

Peter rode first next to the Commander. Behind them were Edmund and Imira riding next to each other, followed by The Guard. 

When they reached the castle gates the Commander stepped aside to let Peter and Edmund pass, which left Imira behind with the Commander and the Royal Guard. 

Inside the castle gates they were met by the governor of the Lone Islands, a merry-looking fellow in his forties, his wife, his daughter and his son. 

The Kings dismounted and Imira followed their example. 

The Governor and his family bowed down respectfully. 

"Your Highnesses," the Governor said, "Emperor Peter,"  and shook Peter's hand. "King Edmund," he greeted. They shook hands and exchanged greetings. 

"Imira, this is Governor Rhom Gaynesford. Governor, may I introduce Princess Imira of Datram," Peter said. Imira stepped forward and shook the governor's hand. "Pleasure to meet you Governor Gaynesford." Peter had told her their names in the ship. Governor Rhom Gaynesford, his wife Kathryn, his son Jared and daughter Jayleene. 

"The pleasure is ours. Welcome to Doorn, Princess." Governor Gaynesford greeted her merrily. "I do apologize for the hasty welcome, we were not aware of your visits until today." 

"Well, we apologize for coming unannounced. It wasn't until recently that we decided to stop by." Peter said, standing next to Imira and placing his hand her back. 

"Well, we are honoured by your visit," said Governor Gaynesford. "How long will we be graced by your presence?" 

"I'm afraid this is a short visit. We'll be leaving tomorrow," Edmund said. 

"Well, then we'll just have to make the best of it," The governor's wife said. 

"Your Majesties, I would very much like to seize your visit to discuss some matters," Governor Gaynesford said to Peter and Edmund. 

"Why, yes, of course," Peter said. 

"Princess Imira, have you ever been to Doorn before?" The governor's wife, Kathryn Gaynesford, said. 

"I'm afraid I haven't had the pleasure to," Imira replied. 

"Oh, you'll love it! I'll give you a tour, show you the castle, have you been to the town square yet? It's lovely, but you must see..."

Imira turned to look at Peter, she was hoping to explore the island with him. Peter caught her gaze and shared her hopes, but being King meant putting his duty first, and as much as he'd rather spend the day with her, he had to attend this meeting the Governor was talking about. 

"Why don't you go ahead and we'll catch up once we're finished," Peter told her. He didn't think it would be much fun for Imira sitting around in boring council meetings and hearing them talk about budgets and taxes. 

"Alright, I'll see you later," Imira said.  

And so Governor Gaynesford and Jared went with Peter and Edmund, while the Kathryn and Jayleen showed Imira around. 

Four hours later they had shown Imira the castle, they'd taken her to Narrowhaven, the market, they'd showed her their ship, and they'd taken her to Anvard and were now on their way back to the castle. 

When they returned to the castle Peter was still busy, but about half an hour later the meetings came to an end and they had dinner with the Governor's family. A few hours later they thanked the Governor and his wife for their hospitality and returned to their ship to set sail back to Narnia. 

THANKS FOR READING YET ANOTHER CHAPTER. DON'T FORGET TO LIKE AND COMMENT!