Part 49 | SHIT. SHIT, SHIT! |

7 April 1002

7 April 1002

A week had gone by since they first ambushed the enemy just north of Mount Pire. Since then, they had moved up north and launched two more raids: The first one at the point where the Telmar River meets with the western mountains, and the second just east of the Shuddering wood. Their camp was moved to the Treadfork, that's what they called the point where The  Archen and The Great Rivers meet.  

It was dinner time now and Imira sat alone poking at the fire with a long stick, waiting for the food to be ready, when Sir Derrick decided to sit with her. 

"May I join you?" he asked, pointing at the empty space next to her on the tree lug. 

"Of course," she said with a small polite smile. 

Derrick sat down a few feet next to her. 

"How's your arm?" she asked, looking at his bandaged forearm, remembering the little incident Derrick had had two days ago during the last raid... 

... A few days before ... 

They had planned an attack on the enemy camp located at the Shuddering Wood, only this time it would happen at sunrise. 

"I'll have my men ready for midnight," Lord Rayner said. 

"Sunrise. We'll attack at sunrise," Peter decreed. 

"They'll be ready before dawn, Your Majesties, my Lady,"  said Lord Rayner before bowing and leaving with Sir Derrick. 

"Why sunrise?"  Imira asked him once they were both alone. 

"I don't want to be predictable. If we always attack at midnight then they'll learn to be ready for us at midnight. We need to switch it up. The only reason we've been attacking at night is so they can't see us coming. And if we establish a pattern, we lose that." Peter explained. 

Imira nodded, he was right. "You're smarter than you look," she teased him. 

He rolled his eyes at her and walked over to her, placing an arm around her shoulders and walking out with her. 

"When do you want to do it?" she asked as they walked past the tent guards and into the encampment.  

"The day after tomorrow," he said. 

"Why wait?" Imira asked. "Don't you want to catch them off-guard?" 

"I do. But we only just returned from the last foray. I want to give the troops a chance to recover before sending them back in," he explained. 

"Your Highness," a raven interrupted, handing Imira a letter. They stopped walking briefly as she took the letter. Immediately she noticed the Datramite seal and ripped it open. Peter had let go of her but they kept walking side by side.