Part 68 | DO WE TELL SUSAN? |

2 June 1002

2 June 1002

THIRD PERSON POV

"When are you leaving for the Lone Islands, Peter?" Queen Lucy asked her eldest brother over breakfast.  

"Shall everything go according to plan, we will be departing the ninth of this month," King Peter said as a faun filled his cup with wine. 

"And you're sure I can't go with you?" Lucy asked. 

"Positively certain," Peter replied. It came out sounding a bit too cheerful, not at all what Peter had intended. Seeing his sister's look of disappointment he quickly tried to mend the situation to no avail "Sorry Lu, maybe next time," 

"But if we're successful there won't be a next time, right?" Imira said, earning the world's most subtle facepalm from Susan and making Lucy turn to look at Peter, who in turn gave Imira a not so subtle pointed look. 

"Did you hear that? There won't be a next time!" Lucy exclaimed with a bit of outrage. 

"Sorry," Imira whispered to Peter and went back to looking at her food. Me and my big mouth, she though. Idiot.  

"Don't worry Lu, there will always be a problem to fix. When you get a bit older you'll be able to join us," Peter said softly. 

"You always say that," Lucy complained from her seat as a pout formed on her lips. 

"Last time you went with Peter and Edmund you ran into some serious trouble, remember?" Susan added. "It's probably better if you wait until you have more experience," 

"But how am I supposed to get any experience if I'm not allowed to fight?" Lucy asked. 

"That's why we train, Lu. I know I've been busy this past week but I promise I'll spend more time with you this week. And when we return we can train some more," Edmund offered. 

"Meanwhile we can practice our archery," Susan offered. 

"And I'm sure you can get Lord Peridan or Sir Threston to help you with your sword skills," Imira added, trying to be helpful. 

Lucy looked a bit bummed. She wanted to help, and in her mind helping meant doing as her brothers and going out to join the fight and risk her life for her kingdom, but she couldn't deny the fact that she had zero experience fighting on a ship. 

"And besides, Susan needs you, Lu. We can't all leave at once and leave her to handle everything. At least not again so quickly," Peter said. 

"We'll have fun Lu. You'll see," Susan said, trying to make the offer more appealing. 

"Yes. You'll probably have a better time than us," Imira said, trying to lift the young queen's spirits. 

"Life in the castle is far more comfortable than on a ship, that I can assure you," Edmund added.