Christmas Tradition

Connor POV.

Christmas. Another human holiday that baffled me. I understood the gift giving and the religious aspect, aswell as the food. It was the other things I didnt understand. The strange little rituals that each family seemed to have.

I scanned the living room, Jayne had layed out all of the gifts she had bough for everyone. It took her three whole days of shopping tp get everything she 'needed'. Now we were going to spend the whole day wrapping them up.

Apart from what we had gotten each other, we where keeping that secret. I had struggled to know what to get Jayne and when I asked her what she would like she just said 'anything, just get me what you think'

It was utterly unhelpful. I finally decided on a bottle of perfume. It was the one Jaynes mother used to wear. I had noticed it in the back ground of a picture. It was almost empty so I assumed her mother used it often.

It was quite hard to track down but it was worth it.

I watched in horror as Jayne came into the room carrying a large box.

"Jayne, stop!" I took the box from her and set it down. She clutched her back wincing slightly. Jayne was now well into her pregnancy, s he was now coming up to 35 weeks. Which is the furtherst any of the other subjects had gotten.

"thanks Connor" she said sitting down on the floor

"Your going to give me a thirmium pump malfunction" I tutted, joining her on the floor. "you know Kamski said to rest. Speaking of I need to check your blood pressure"

"Do it later please! It's one week to Christmas and iv got nothing wrapped  and I haven't gotten the tree out of the attic" Jayne groaned.

I took her hold of her hand.

"I will get the tree down, and we will finish the wrapping in no time" I soothed her.

"good. you will have to do it before everyone comes over tonight to decorate it" she said pulling a cushion off the sofa to prop up her back.

"why can't we just decorate it? It would be much more efficient" I asked, as I rolled out the wrapping paper and began to wrap the first gift carefully.

"its not about being efficient. It's about having fun, and family. Besides it's tradition. We always decorate the tree a week before Christmas and always together. I remember one Christmas when dad was away and he had to video call us. " Jayne smiled taking the blue ribbon; that I was about to wrap around the present and replacing it with a green one.

We sat for awhile in a comfortable silence wrapping gifts.

Jayne jumped suddenly.

"Connor she's moving, feel" she pressed my hand to her belly after a second my hand was kicked away by a roaming leg. I smiled kissing Jayne on the lips.

"she?" I questioned.

"I'm telling you it's a girl"

"you can't possibly know"

"erm, excuse me I know OK, call it mothers intuition"

I turned away from her feeling guilt rise up in my stomach. I still hadn't told Jayne about the deal I had made. I knew I would have to tell her soon. Because we need to come up with a plan. We couldn't run forever, not with a baby atleast.

"annnddd done" Jayne sang, wrapping the last present.

"Jayne, if you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?" I asked pulling her close to me.

"ooo, good question. Somewhere in Europe maybe"

I hummed my response, if we where going to have to run somewhere, I could atleast try to make it somewhere Jayne wanted to go.