an explanation.

We rode to kamskis in silence, I sat in the back seat while Gavin and Hank rode in the front. I didn't want to go back to kamski's underground hide out. I wanted to go and find my own hide out were I could go and 'stick my head in the sand' as a human would put it. 

everything seemed to blend together, or maybe i just wasn't paying attention. Hank lead us to the elevator, I briefly hear him talking to Gavin about something. I wasn't listening, I felt anxious. Anxious to see Jayne, anxious to see if she had improved any.

I knew kamski would do everything in his power to help her, but I knew if her brain waves didn't improve there wasn't much we could do. I shook my head trying to clear it of these thoughts that were to hard to think about. I must focus on my mission, finding the baby. we should really give him a name, I thought as the elevator door open. 

"Elijah?" Hank called as we walked down the hallway, into the living room. it was mostly dark the only light coming from a few lamps and candles scattered around the open floor plan. I heard foot steps come running around the corner, before I could say anything I was almost bowled over as Carter ran at me pulling me in to a bear hug. 

"Connor" he breathed quietly. I patted his back, in an effort to comfort him. 

"Wait what the fuck?" Gavin spoke out, causing us to turn. I realised he hadn't met Carter. infact he was new to all of this really. 

"ah, sorry. Gavin Reed this is Carter." Carter extended his hand to Gavin who just frowned looking between the both of us. 

"i thought you were the only one? i mean shit" 

"I am, Carter is a RK 900-" I began 

"I'm the newer upgrade I am taller, and my eyes are blue. oh I also have a larger pen-"

"thats enough Carter" I held up my hand to cut him off "I think Gavin gets it" 

a smirk crept on to gavins face. 

"Oh I get it, hes like the new and improved you" Gavin chuckled as Carter nodded his head in agreement. 

"Hardly" I Scoffed. 

"Well actually, i was made to be better than you. I am faster, I can run faster, I'm stronger than you a swell. I am also smarter by 52 IQ points" Carter stated placing his hands behind his back. 

"What are you talking about, smarter?" I couldn't believe what i was hearing " you cant even dress yourself, you have Chloe pick out all of your clothes"

"no I dont! " Carter complained turning slightly red int he face. Gavin laughed a little clearly amused by the dynamic between myself and Carter. "you didn't even know what a meme is" Carter continued.

"This is brilliant" Gavin chuckled. 

"Christ on a bike! I'm going to find Kamski " Hank huffed storming into the direction of the Lab I turned to follow. 

"are you coming?" I asked Gavin and Carter. Gavin looked at his feet, he was uncomfortable. 

"nah I'm gonna stay out here, you go" He said 

"If you want we can watch sports" Carter suggested. Causing Gavin to laugh again. 

"sports huh?" 

I left them to it, looking back for a moment to watch them laugh an Joke with each other. I frowned, Gavin had never laughed like that with me. I yell broke my thoughts. 

"Connor! what are you doing?!" Hank yelled. 

"Coming Lieutenant" i said hurrying off after hank. 

........

Machines beeped and bonged around Jayne, I dont think I was quite ready to see her this way. if i took away the machines she would have looked so peaceful. From what Kamski was saying she was doing well, and he wasn't sure why she wasn't waking up or responding to anything. 

"so she not... shes not dead?" Hank asked holding his breath while he waited for a response.

Kamski nodded his head " I have no reason to believe she wont wake up. however she might not be... the same anymore" 

"what does that mean?" I asked 

"well there isn't any subject data that goes this far in to the pregnancy, or postpartum. So I really am flying blind here. but look" Kamski handed me and Hank Jayne's latest test results. 

" I gave Jayne three hundred CC of thirum when we arrived here, since then she had been approving greatly. it appears her organs now require a mix of human blood and thrimum to work efficiently" 

"how does that work?" Hank asked 

"I cant be 100 % sure, but i think having the thrimum in her blood stream that long, and all the other adjustments her body as gone though. I think Jayne has become dependent on thrium. and when she was losing blood while giving birth her body couldnt handle it" Kamski replied. 

"So, so what is Jayne? is she an android now? or like a cyborg or something" Hank sat down I scanned him, his body was in shock 

" I believe so. thats not all either" kamski said pulling out some more papers. " See, here this is Jaynes blood results from a few weeks ago. and these are the ones from today" I studied them both, they both looked the same. 

" I dont understand" I said looking the results over again. 

" Jayne's cells arnt dying." Kamski looked at me with intense excited eyes. " Connor they are regenerating. Jayne's cells arnt decaying like they are suppose to. I could be wrong, but I dont think Jayne is ageing. and look" he pointed to the paper again. " the protein that we were trying to filter out, its back and look its almost double the amount it was before" 

I shook my head. " Do you think this protein  is the reason?" Kamksi nodded. 

" I think we made a mistake by flooding it out. I think it was Jayne's body building up a defence getting ready for birth. here is the thing, non of the other subjects ever had this in their blood. which means-" 

" it was in those pills she was taking" Hank spoke up Kamski nodded in agreement. 

"so what does this mean?" I swallowed as i spoke, scared of the answer he would give. 

kamski thought for a moment. 

"I have to believe she will wake up. all the sighs point to it. as far as everything else..." He looked over his shoulder in the direction of where Jayne was lying. " we will have to see when she wakes up" 

I asked if i could have a moment alone with Jayne. I just needed a moment, so far I haven't been able to process any kind of emotion I was feeling. I spoke to Jayne, told her how much i missed her and how I was sorry. sorry that I had let Adam walk away with our baby, and about the deal i had made that they could take him in the first place. I pleaded with her to wake up, I cried. suddenly feeling stupid that I had broken down like that. I knew I had to leave her again, I held her hand and I could have swore I felt her twitch at my touch. But it was just my imagination. I turned walking away from her feeling my heart break for the millionth time. 

****************