the name game

JAYNE POV

"Whats wrong with Noah" I sighed handing Connor a diaper 

"Wasn't that the kids name, in that bar back in Canada" 

"Oh yeah, well come on then. if youve got better ideas" 

"Elijah" Connor said handing me the dirty diaper. 

"no"

"Why not! its only fitting he did deliver him"

" I am not naming my child after Kamski, not now not ever" 

"ok fine. Ezra" 

"No" I said quickly. "Arron"

"No. Dexter" Connor picked up the baby who gargled "See he likes Dexter"

"No. I want a name that means something. something special." 

"What about your fathers name" 

"David? hmm I was thinking that more for a middle name" I started backing up the diaper bag. 

"well we have to decide soon." Connor said, bouncing him on his shoulder. 

"Speaking of soon. Have you asked Hank yet?" i raised an eyebrow at him. 

"No." He said looking sheepish  

"Connor! Come on you have to register your name by the end of the week. Just ask him if you can take his last name"

"What if he says no" 

"he wont, plus if he does then just take my last name" 

he placed baby no name in the car seat, strapping him in. 

"Shall we go see Grandpa huh, you want to go see sumo and and grandpa" Connor Cooed. 

.......

I opened the door to hanks house. 

"Hello! just your friendly neighbourhood murder" I called out, Hank came running from the kitchen. 

"Gimme gimme" he held out his arms taking the car seat from Connor. Placing it on the floor to take him out. 

"hello to you too" I laughed. 

"I dont care about you two, Im only interested in my little future Detroit gears fan here"

it was nice to watch him being so sweet to the baby. God Damn it he needs a name!

" I will leave you three boys to it im going to wash up before Carter and everyone gets here" 

Tonight was a big basket ball game, Hank had insisted we have a family get together so we coudl all watch the game. I knew Connor had no interest whats so ever, but Carter and Hank had seemed to bond over sports, so of course Connor wanted to join in. It was cute that he was jealous. 

I walked through to the bathroom, somethign caught my eye in hanks bedroom. it was the picture of Cole that hank kept his bed. Suddenly, inspration struck, Cole. It was perfect. I grabbed the picture. 

"Connor" I called, coming back into the living room . I showed him the picture. 

"Its perfect" he smiled and nodded. 

"Your right it is" Hank looked between us both. 

"What are you talking about, why are you holding the picture of Cole" 

I knelt down in front of Hank 

"Hank if your not comfotable with this, please say but..." 

"go on" 

"Hank, can we name the baby after Cole" Connor said, helping me out. Hank looked between us both then back to the baby in his arms, his eyes were open, his arms flayling trying to grab on to Hanks face. He didnt say anything for a long time.  i put my hand on his leg. 

"Its ok to say no" I reassured him. he looked at me confused. 

"how could I say no, Its perfect" he smiled. 

"that settles it then, Cole David Anderson" 

"Anderson?" Hank Said confused. I gestured to Connor.

"Well I was wondering, as you know Androids are required to register for a last name. I was hoping i could. I if you find it agreeable I could  Take your name" Connor stammered. 

"my name? you want to take my name?" hank asked. 

"Yes, if you are in agreement" Connor said formally 

"son, you didnt even have to ask" Hank smiled, "Although your not calling my dad I draw the line at that" 

"fine, papa Hank it is then" I joked, hank gave me a warning look. 

..........

Everyone arrived later, by everyone i mean, Carter and Grace with the girls as well as Elle May. Whos relationship with Hank was all out in the open now. it was nice to see someone care for him. 

"oh let me 'old em, please I love babies" Elle May begged, as I handed her Baby Cole. "did your mommy and daddy name you yet sweet pea?" She asked, 

"Cole. His name is Cole David Anderson" I said, 

"Oh Cole after, your son" Elle May turned to Hank who nodded. 

" And David After Jaynes and Graces Father" Connor added. 

Grace put her hand over her heart. 

"You named him after dad" She gushed. Carter looked confused, he cocked his head to the side. 

"Why Anderson, and not Patterson like your last name Jayne" Carter Asked. 

Connor cleared his throat, nervously. 

"Because that is what I will be restricting my last name as when we go to the naming stations tomorrow" Connor said proudly. 

"What? Can I do that to?" Carter asked. 

"No you can't " Connor shook his head. 

"Why cant he" I said "Dont be mean Connor" I slapped his arm. 

"Yeah Connor, Carter can take Hanks last name if he wants" Grace said 

"Oh boy" Hank sighed sinking back into the sofa, hoping no one would ask him his opinion. 

"But Anderson, was going to be my last name" Connor Protested. 

"We are brothers, it make sense if we have the same name" Carter raised his voice. 

"no it doesnt" 

"Does" 

"Doesnt!" 

"DOES" the two contiuned to yell at each other, untill Elle May stepped in the middle.

"Boys! boys! Stop it right now. what yall throwing a hissy fit for, come on now. its just a silly old name. it dont matter."

"But he-" Carter pointed at Connor, 

"Me Its you-" 

Elle May raised her free hand in the air. 

"You both hush your mouth before I tan your both your hides. yall makin me madder than a wet hen" 

I watched in amazement as Elle May gave them a telling off. both Connor and Carter shifted on there feet looking like small children being told off by there mother. 

"Now i reckon there is one solution to this, either yall both take the name or non of you do. agreed" 

"Agreed" Both boys said together. 

"Now, Shake hands, like the gentlemen you are" they did as they were told. 

Hank Smiled " nicely done" 

***********