01 || Letter

Katerina Blair woke up on the day of her 11th birthday to her younger brother Leo bouncing up and down on her bed. Groaning, Katie placed her arm across her eyes.

"Leo. Get off."

"Happy birthday!" Leo said excitedly as he continued jumping on the bed.

Katie's door opened and in came her parents and her other brother Chris. Leo sat down on the end of the bed, a big smile plastered on his face, and crossed his legs.

"Happy birthday baby!" Katie's mum squealed as she ran over and attacked her daughter in a hug.

"Thanks mum, but I can't breathe." Katie said as her mum squeezed her tight.

"Sorry, I just can't believe my little girl is eleven!"

Katie's dad walked over to the bed and placed a tray of breakfast on the bed. Katie gave him a smile and he smiled back.

"Happy birthday." He hugged his daughter also and the annoyance Katie had been feeling about being woken up dissolved.

A present was given to Katie by both of her parents and Leo, before they left the room.

Katie looked down at the vast amounts of food on her tray.

"Do you want some?" she asked, looking up at her brother Chris who was in the corner of the room. He gave her a little smile and shook his head.

"It's your birthday."

"Why are you still here?" Katie asked as she sipped her tea.

"Do you really hate me that much." Chris raised his eyebrow and chuckled, earning a giggle from his little sister. Chris walked over and sat on the edge of the bed.

"I didn't get you a present." he said.

"I noticed." Katie chuckled and bit into her toast. "It's not your fault you got grounded and couldn't go outside."

Chris rolled his eyes.

"But I do have something." Chris said and Katie raised an eyebrow. Chris stood up and gave his little sister a small smile.

"It's downstairs, c'mon." he said.

"I'll be down in a few minutes." Katie replied, gesturing to the large tray of food on her bed. Chris chuckled lightly and, nodding, he left the room.

Katie quickly finished her food and decided to tidy herself up a bit before going downstairs. She pulled on a grey skirt that went down to just above her knees, pairing it with a cardigan.

After brushing out her disheveled hair, Katie went downstairs to get her mystery present from her brother.

The whole family was sitting eating breakfast, apart from Leo who was busy making a paper aeroplane.

"Hey honey!" Mrs Blair said happily as Katie sat down in her usual seat. There was another cup of tea waiting for her and she smiled as she sipped it.

"Did you like your presents?" Mr Blair asked and Katie choked on her tea.

"I forgot to open them!" she said, hitting herself in the face. Her parents chuckled.

"That's okay, you can open them later. Besides, I think Chris had something you'd prefer anyway." Mrs Blair said with a glint in her eye. Katie redirected her gaze to her older brother, who was sitting across from her with a slight smirk on his face. Katie raised and eyebrow as Chris reached into his back pocket and handed her a piece of paper.

Katie gave Chris a strange look as she took the mystery paper from her brother. Everyone, even Leo, was looking as Katie with anticipation and excitement in their eyes. Katie flipped the piece of paper over and realised that it wasn't just any piece of paper. It was an envelope. It was an envelope with the Hogwarts School crest stamped on the front. Katie's eyes widened and she couldn't help the happy smile that split across her face. Mrs Blair let out a small squeak as happiness as Katie opened the envelope.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF
WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc, Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss Blair,
We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF
WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

UNIFORM
First-year students will require:
1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastening)

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags

SET BOOKS
All students should have a copy of each of the following:
The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT
1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set brass scales

Students may also bring and owl OR a cat OR a toad

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST-YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS

"I can't have my own broomstick? Bullshit." Katie whined jokingly and Chris laughed.

"You're going to Hogwarts and you're complaining about not getting your own broom?"

"But then I can't play quidditch." Katie scoffed.

"Students without brooms are provided ones by the school. Besides, you're too young. First-years can't play for the house teams." Chris said.

"That's not true!" Katie sat up straight. "First-years can play."

"Well, yeah, but the odds of one getting on the team are low. There hasn't been a first-year player on over a century." Chris explained.

"Well, I think it's time we changed that." Katie said with a glint in her eye.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Hey guys! Welcome to my new Harry Potter fanfiction. It is based around the life of a young student named Katerina Blair. The plot may be a little all over the place, but I promise to do my best. I hope you all enjoy!