70 || Her Refuge, Her Confidante, Her Best Friend

A/N: This chapter is kind of trashy so I'm sorry in advance :/

.
.

Katie was only minutes away from the Gryffindor common room when she realised that she didn't actually know the password to get inside. Luckily, a distant but heavy panting sounded from behind her. She turned around to see Neville running up the corridor.

"Hi, Katie," he tried to smile while still panting. "Good game. You played really well."

Katie grinned at him." Thanks, Neville!"

Neville had finally caught up to her and slowed down to a walking pace, though he was still breathing quite heavily.

"Are you going to see Harry?" Neville inquired.

"Ron, actually."

Neville frowned. "He's in a pretty bad state." he said, pausing in front of the portrait to give the Fat Lady the password to Gryffindor tower. The portrait swung open, revealing the bustling common room behind it. Neville helped Katie through the portrait hole (despite the fact that he tripped himself) and they spotted Ron sitting by the fire.

He was slouched so low in his chair that his pointed nose was almost level with his knees. Hermione, Fred and Ginny were situated around him, attempting to block him from the view of everyone else in the room and talking to him in hushed voices.

On the opposite side of the room, Angelina, Chris and Niall were discussing the game with a group of fascinated first years who were gazing up at the three Chasers with total admiration written all over their faces. Harry and George were no where to be found.

"See you later, Neville." Katie said, breaking away from him and making her way over to the very glum looking Ron Weasley.

Hermione looked up when she heard Katie's footsteps approaching and she shook her head sadly. This was the only indication Katie needed to understand exactly what was bothering Ron. He was disappointed in himself for letting all of Slytherin's goals in.

"Hi, Ron," Katie said softly, sitting down next to him. "You played — er — really well out there."

"Don't be stupid," Ron grunted bitterly. "I was lousy."

"That's not true! You were just nervous, that's all." Katie said. Ron did not respond; he sank down further into his seat, which Katie didn't even think was possible.

The portrait swung open and Harry and George clambered through. Both of them appeared to be in some kind of torpor — their eyes were full of empty shock and there wasn't even a hint of colour in either of their faces. They were greeted by the rest of the Gryffindors with rapturous applause, but neither of them seemed to notice, nor did they care.

"Harry?" Hermione asked warily. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong," Harry said acidly, "is that Umbridge just banned Fred, George and me from playing Quidditch."

Katie's heart missed a beat.

"What?" she, Hermione and Ron all gasped together.

"Yeah, and all because Malfoy provoked us." Harry said, and Katie could've sworn she saw his eyes flash dangerously in her direction.

Katie sat rooted to the spot, her mouth hanging open stupidly. She couldn't even argue Draco's case because what Harry had said was true. If Draco hadn't had provoked Harry and the Weasleys, they wouldn't have attacked him, and while Katie didn't think that they were right to retaliate with violence, she definitely thought that a ban from Quidditch was much too severe of a punishment.

"Harry, I'm so sorry--" Katie commenced.

"I'm not sure why you're acting all innocent," Harry hurled at her. "Your Quidditch team wrote that song about Ron, after all."