49 || The Goblet of Fire

The remainder of September was rather uneventful, as was the majority of October. Nothing too exciting happened (although, at Hogwarts, you would rarely come across a day that proved to be completely normal). As the end October grew nearer, the tedious anticpiation of the arrival of Durmstrang and Beauxbatons — the two other Wizarding Schools that would be taking part in the Triwizard Tournament — grew to a point that it was pulverising.

"Have Fred and George come up with anything, then?" Katie asked Ron, seating herself next to him in the library and taking out her books to begin her homework.

"No." Ron grumbled.

"You're not seriously thinking of entering, are you?" Hermione said distastefully, glaring at Katie over the rim of her book. Katie stared on at Hermione as though she had three heads.

"A thousand Galleons prize money, Hermione!"

Hermione chewed her lip uncertainly. "Yes, well—"

"Do you know how many Zonko's products we could buy with that?" Ron cut Hermione off, who huffed at being interrupted. Katie chuckled at Ron's comment.

***

"What have you done with him? Where is my son?"

"Your son... is gone."

"You liar! Give me my boy!"

"Katerina is next..."

"NO! Stay away from my daughter, you—!"

"Oh, Anthony, dear, both you and I know all too well that Katerina is not really your daughter."

"She's as good as! I've loved her more than that filthy—"

"Avada Kedavra!"

There was a burst of green light and a man screamed shrilly. Katie awoke with a start, sprung forward in her bed, and panted as her chest rose and fell frantically. Her face and neck had broken out in a cold sweat and her stomach was twisting into uncomfortable knots.

"Katie!" someone gasped fearfully. The end of Katie's bed shifted and suddenly there was a hand on her knee. Squinting through the dark, Katie saw the worried face of Pansy Parkinson only inches from her own, which shocked Katie, due to the fact that she and Pansy hadn't actually considered each other friends since second year.

"P-Pansy.." Katie whispered, her voice cold. It was only now that Katie realised she had hot tears streaming down her cheeks, mingling with her sweat.

"You're OK," Pansy assured her, hugging her close. "You're OK, it's just a dream, you're alright. I've got you, you're OK."

Katie buried her face into the crook of Pansy's neck as Pansy soothingly rubbed her back and cooed reassuring words.

"P-Pansy... m-my dad..." Katie choked out between sobs.

"I know." Pansy hushed her.

"I-I saw him die."

Pansy's circles on Katie's back stopped promptly and she pulled back, looking Katie straight in her glassy eyes.

"What?"

"I-in my dream — he was asking for my brother, and there was a woman, I couldn't see her face. She said that my brother was gone, and said that..." Katie paused and gulped harshly. "She said that I was next... and then... she killed him. She murdered my father for no reason."

Katie began sobbing once more and Pansy pulled her shaking frame into another embrace. Pansy had run out of comforting phrases, so she instead just continued to rub her classmate's back.