11 || Swish and Flick

September flew by in what seemed like a mere moment, and, before Katerina knew it, it was Halloween. The students at Hogwarts still had regular classes throughout the day, but they would be having a grand Halloween Feast. Chris and his friends had told Katie about the Halloween Feast. They said that it was nothing compared to the Christmas or End-of-the-Year feasts, but Katie was more than excited for the sweets and treats that she would be getting at the feast that Halloween.

One of the classes of the day was charms with Professor Flitwick. He was a very small wizard with a pointed nose and a squeaky voice. He had to stand on top of a pile of books just to see over his desk.

"Now, don't forget the nice wand movement we've been practicing. Swish and flick." Flitwick squeaked after explaining to the class that they would be learning a spell to make objects levitate. Katie somehow found herself sitting next to Draco Malfoy and it was honestly a nightmare. He said Wingardium Leviosa with such confidence and pride, only to scoff when the charm didn't work and the feather on his desk did not move.

A few seats in front of Katie, Ron was sitting beside a girl who Katie had not met, but she remembered from potions class that her name was Hermione.

"Wingardium Levisoa!" Ron exclaimed. Nothing happened so he began to angrily wave his wand around, clearly having no aim to his actions.

"Stop, stop, stop," Hermione said, placing her hand over Ron's wand, "You're going to take someone's eyes out. Besides, you're saying it wrong. It's Levi-O-sa, not Levios-A."

"You do it then, if you're so clever! Go on!" Ron snapped and Katie forced back chuckles. Flashing Ron a snobby look, Hermione cleared her throat and held her wand out carefully.

"Wingardium Leviosa." she said with a swish and a flick of her wand. The white feather on Hermione's desk gently rose into the air and all eyes were averted to the bushy-haired Gryffindor, who had a smug look painted on her face.

Katie caught up with Harry and Ron after charms. She walked across the school with them to their next class, all the while Ron complained about Hermione Granger.

"It's Levi-O-sa, not Levios-A," Ron mocked her and Katie got a weird twisting feeling in her stomach, "She's a nightmare, honestly! It's no wonder he hasn't got any friends!

At that moment, a girl shoved Ron as she rushed past. The girl was Hermione. Ron's eyes widened as he looked at Harry and Katie in shock.

"I think she heard you." Harry said and Ron shrugged. Rolling her eyes, Katie shoved her books into Harry's hands.

"Take these. Give them back to me tomorrow. I'll see you tonight at the feast." she said as she walked away.

"Where are you going?" Harry called after Katie.

"To find Hermione!"

Katie knew exactly where she would find Hermione. She knew that if she was upset, the first place she would go to cry in private would be the bathroom. So Katie wasn't surprised to hear muffled sobs and sniffles coming from one of the stalls upon entering the first floor girl's bathroom.

"Hello?" Katie asked softly, not wanting to intrude. "Are you okay?"

"Go away." Hermione said through the door of a bathroom stall. Sighing, Katie placed her hands on the door.

"It's Hermione, isn't it? I'm Katerina Blair. I'm a friend of Harry and Ron's." Katie told Hermione. After a moment of silence, the lock clicked and Hermione pulled the door open. Her eyes were red-rimmed and her hair looked more bushy that usual. She sniffled weakly when she saw Katie.

"Have you come to tell me off for being a snobby brat?" Hermione sighed.

"No, I've come to apologise on Ron's behalf, and check if you're all right." Katie said, gingerly placing her hand on Hermione's shoulder.