24 || Polyjuice Potion

As they had a free period, Katie, Harry, Ron and Hermione decided to go to the library to get a headstart on some of the day's homework. Hermione had been scribbling words firecly for forty minutes without speaking a single word. Ron huffed or groaned in annoyance every few seconds, and took frequent but short breaks from homework to talk to Harry or Katie.

With one final grunt, Ron slammed The Standard Book Of Spells, Grade 2 shut. To everyone's surprise, Hermione followed suit and spoke for the first time in what felt like forever.

"Who can it be, though?" she said in a quiet voice, as though continuing a conversation they had just been having. "Who'd want all the Squibs and Muggle-borns out of Hogwarts?"

"Who do we know who thinks all Muggle-borns are scum?" Ron said. Hermione looked unconvinced.

"If you're talking about Malfoy—"

Katie's head snapped up from her book at the mention of his name.

"Of course I am!" Ron proclaimed. "You heard him: 'You'll be next, Mudbloods!' Come on, you've only got to take one look at his foul, rat face to know it's him—"

"Malfoy, the heir of Slytherin?" Hermione mocked, almost laughing.

"Maybe Ron has a point, Hermione." Harry shrugged.

"Absolutely not." Katie said quickly, attracting the trio's attention. She gulped and directed her gaze to the surface of the wooden table they were sat at.

"Why not?" Ron blinked, sounding a little more aggressive than he probably intended.

"Why do you not think he's the heir of Slytherin?" Harry softened the question.
Katie shrugged and, with a hint of a blush on her cheeks, she spoke.

"I dunno... He just seems a bit too... feeble."

Ron snorted in amusement. "You got that right."

"Look at his family," Harry ignored Katie and Ron's comments. "The whole lot of them have been in Slytherin, he's always boasting about it. They could easily be Slytherin's descendants. His father's evil enough."

"They could've had the key to the Chamber of Secrets for centuries!" Ron declared. "Passing it down from father to son..."

"Well, I suppose it's possible..." Hermione agreed, cringing as she did so. Katie didn't speak a single word.

"But how do we prove it?" Harry quizzed.

Katie was one hundred percent sure that the exact same idea that crossed her mind had struck Hermione as well. The bushy-haired Gryffindor leaned across the table and spoke quietly to her friends.

"There might be a way. Of course, it would be difficult. And dangerous, very dangerous. We'd be breaking about fifty school rules, I expect."

"If, in a month or so, you feel like explaining, you will let us know, won't you?" Ron sneered.

"Polyjuice Potion." Katie said. Hermione shushed her aggresively.

"What's that?" Harry and Ron said together, their puzzled eyes glancing from one girl to the other.

"It transforms you into someone else." Hermione told them. "Think about it! We could change into three Slytherins. Malfoy wouldn't suspect a thing. He'd probably tell us anything.

"Or I, an actual Slytherin, could just ask him myself..." Katie suggested, her statement sounding more like a question.

"Does he trust you enough, though?" Hermione asked doubtfully. Now that she thought about it, Draco probably wouldn't tell Katie if he was the heir of Slytherin because she was friends with Harry, Ron and Hermione. She slumped back into her seat.