35 || The Grim

Katie clambered up the spiral staircase of the North Tower, her heart clenching in her chest, her breathing heavy, and emerged on a small landing. As she was already ten minutes late to her first Divination class, it shocked her to see the rest of the students huddled together on the landing. They were all speaking quietly amongst themselves and gazing around in perplexity. There were so many teenagers cramped in the small space that if it wasn't for his vibrant red hair, Katie might not have spotted Ron Weasley amidst the crowd.

"Ron? What's going on? Oh, hi Harry."

Ron shot a quick glance at Katie before continuing to scan the landing.

"We're all here for Divination," he said. "The problem is, there's no bloody Divination classroom!"

At Ron's words, a circular trapdoor sprung open with a pop, startling the entire class, and a silver ladder descended to the floor.

"Well, ladies first." Ron said, nudging Katie with his elbow. The girl briefly glared at her friend but was the first to climb the ladder nonetheless. Harry followed close behind, and they emerged in, quite frankly, the strangest classroom that Katie had ever step foot in.

It was a round room with thick yellowish walls. Both the windows and curtains were shut, trapping the heat of the crackling fire, and the lamps were draped in red cloths, illuminating the room with a dim lighting that cast eerie shadows across the walls. The thin, pine shelves were crammed with crystal balls and tea cups alike, and each tiny, round table was complimented with short little armchairs.

For a second, Katie didn't think she was in a classroom at all. If it wasn't for the thin woman with excessive amounts of mystical jewelry and large glasses that magnified her eyes emerging from the shadows and welcoming everyone to Divination, Katie may have begun to believe that she had accidentally stumbled upon an old storage attic.

"Welcome! My name is Professor Trelawney. How nice it is to see you in the real world at last."

Katie and Harry exchanged sidewards glances. They both had their eyebrows raised in suspicion.

"Sit, my children, sit!"

Everyone awkwardly sunk into the plush armchairs and looked around at each other, showing clear signs of discomfort. Nobody said anything as Professor Trelawney rearranged the shabby shawl that she had draped over her shoulders.

"So, you have chosen to study Divination, the most difficult of all magical arts."

"Something tells me she's never taken a Potions class." Ron muttered, which amused both Katie and Harry.

Professor Trelawney continued on. "I must warn you at the outset that if you do not have the Sight, there is very little I will be able to teach you. Books can only take you so far in this field..."

"What a load of rubbish!"

Katie, Harry and Ron let out small shrieks of fright. They whirled their heads around to see that Hermione had suddenly appeared at their table. Ron wasted no time in pointing out the strange occurrence.

"Where did you come from?" Ron cried.

"Me? I've been here all this time." Hermione responded.

Ron, who was convinced that he wasn't going mad, tapped Katie on the hand to get her attention. He nodded his head towards Hermione. "Did you see her come in?"

Katie looked at Ron in unbeknownst and shook her head no. They did not have time to further interrogate Hermione before Professor Trelawney's voice started ringing around the room yet again.

"Many witches and wizards, talented though they are in the area of loud bangs and smells and sudden disappearings, are yet unable to penetrate the veiled mysteries of the future. It is a Gift granted to few. You, boy," she pointed at Neville, who almost toppled off his chair in fright, "is your grandmother well?"