42 || Quidditch Final

Quite a lot had happened since Christmas. Harry received a Firebolt for Christmas anonymously. As the mysterious and expensive gift was left for Harry without a note or name attached, Professor McGonagall took the broom to inspect if for jinxes and Harry still had not gotten it back. Although McGonagall never told them directly, both Katie and Harry knew that she was taking extra precaution with the broomstick, fearing that it was Sirius Black who had sent it.

Gryffindor beat Ravenclaw in their Quidditch match and Harry had gotten the Marauder's Map confiscated from him by Professor Lupin, but worst of all, Buckbeak had been sentenced to death. Hagrid said that Lucius Malfoy frightened the Committee into doing as he wanted, which did not surprise Katie one but. Katie had only met Draco's father once, but he was by far the foulest person she had ever known, and that was saying something because Snape was the head of her house.

As much as she wanted to be there for Hagrid, extra safety measures imposed on the students since Sirius Black's break in made it impossible for her to see him anytime other than Care of Magical Creatures classes. The only time Katie managed to get a breath of fresh air was when she was out on the Quidditch pitch training for the final.

The final was taking place the first weekend after the Ester Holidays. Although Slytherins and Gryffindors had been at each others throats for centuries, the tension between the two houses was almost unbearable. Katie couldn't walk through the corridors without Gryffindors trying to trip her up, but none of the players were getting as hard of a time as Harry Potter. The other Slytherins were out for his blood, making it so Katie had to accompany him on his way to all his lessons, because the Slytherins wouldn't dare to try and put him out of action if she was there.

"You know," Katie begun one day as she was escorting Harry to Astronomy class, "if we weren't such bloody good friends, I would probably throw you off the Astronomy Tower."

Harry laughed loudly. "Threatened?"

"Shut up, Potter. You're lucky I'm not Seeker anymore — I'd flatten you."

"What ever helps you sleep at night." Harry said and Katie chortled. At that moment, they arrived at Harry's Astronomy classroom. He pushed the door open and waved to Katie.

"See you in Potions!"

Katie continued along the corridor. She was on her way to History of Magic when she heard a familiar voice call out behind her.

"Fraternizing with the enemy, Blair?"

Katie's jaw slacked in anger.

"Hello, Pansy." Katie said blankly. Pansy caught up to Katie and started walking alongside her.

"You know, you should really stop hanging around with that Potter and his Mudblood friend—"

"Don't you dare call her that!"

"—it makes the other Slytherins and I very angry." Pansy spoke slowly, letting her words sink in, and sneered.

Katie had to refrain from rolling her eyes. "Yeah, well, lucky for me, I don't care what you and your Slytherins think."

"Oh, but I think you do," Pansy drawled. "And so does Draco—"

Katie stopped dead in her tracks and whirled around so that she was facing Pansy. A surge of anger shot through her veins.

"What is up with you this year?" Katie snapped. "You were always such a good friend to me, but now you've turned into a stuck up bitch!"

Pansy stared, stunned, at Katie for many moments. She shook herself and snapped her agape mouth shut.

"Just because I can accept that Slytherins are—"

Katie cut across Pansy yet again. "This isn't about Slytherins, Pansy! This is about you. Now, I understand that you've never particularly liked my friends, and I can except that, but if you ever dare say another cruel word to or about Harry — or Ron — or Hermione — I will..."