84 || The Prophecy

𝙼𝚎𝚎𝚝 𝚖𝚎 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚕𝚘𝚌𝚔 𝚝𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚛 𝚊𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚕𝚞𝚗𝚌𝚑.

Katie found this note on her desk in Potions after she had returned from placing her ingredients back in the supply cupboard. She knew at once that it was from Harry — she recognised his hand writing and the clock tower had always been the place that they used to meet when they wanted to be alone.

So Katie spent the whole of lunch feeling rather anxious about the reasoning for Harry asking her up to the clock tower almost a year after they had split. Once the glittering golden plates had been wiped clean and Katie saw Harry leave the Hall, she got up, told Pansy that she was going to the bathroom, and made her way to the clock tower.

When she arrived, Harry was sat in his usual spot by the edge of the railing, his legs hanging over the side. He turned his head when he heard footsteps as Katie approached cautiously.

"Hi." he greeted.

Still feeling rather uncertain about the whole ordeal, Katie stepped forward but did not sit down, instead choosing to stand directly in the middle of the tower.

"Bit of a strange meeting spot, don't you think?" she said, faking a joking tone of voice.

Harry laughed shortly. "Yeah, I know, but I needed somewhere private."

When Katie still didn't move from her spot in the middle of the room (she was now awkwardly bouncing up and down on the balls of her feet) Harry nodded to the space next to him.

"Aren't you gonna sit down?"

Although she still felt vaguely uncomfortable, Katie moved forward and settled herself on the ledge next to Harry.

"So," she commenced, "what did you want to see me for?"

Harry's face was very strained, giving the impression that he didn't really want to share with Katie whatever he had asked her up to the clock tower to discuss.

"Dumbledore's decided to give me private lessons," Harry started and Katie nodded to show that she was listening. "I thought at first that maybe he'd teach me more advanced defensive magic, but I had my first lesson last night, and he basically just wants to tell me everything there is to know about Voldemort."

Katie blinked rather slowly. While this was all quite interesting, she hadn't the faintest idea why Harry had chosen to share this information with her, but her confusion was diminished by Harry's next words.

"After the lesson last night, I asked him if I could tell Ron and Hermione everything that he told me, you know..." Harry went on. Katie nodded again. "He said I could, but he also asked me to share it all with you."

Stunned by this, Katie allowed her head to tilt to the side, perfectly expressing both her mingled surprise and perplexity.

"Why me?" she asked. Harry merely shrugged.

"I don't know," he said. "Dumbledore wouldn't tell me. But that's why I asked you up here — to tell you what I found out last night."

Harry paused as though waiting for Katie to speak, but when she didn't, he launched into a story about Lord Voldemort's past.

"Right, so," he shuffled around a bit to get comfortable as he spoke. "Voldemort's mother was a witch named Merope, Merope Gaunt, and his father was — get this — a Muggle."

This was probably the most shocking piece of information Katie had received in recent months. Lord Voldemort, the Pure-blood fanatic, was a Half-blood?

"Yeah, I know," Harry said in response to Katie's blatantly shocked expression. "But Dumbledore reckons that Merope gave Tom Riddle Senior — that's Voldemort's father — a love potion, or else put him under the Imperius Curse, because about a year after they were married and had run away together, Riddle went back to his village without Merope and said that he had hoodwinked him into marrying her."