43 || Hell of a Night

The euphoria of Gryffindor winning the Quidditch Cup quickly settled because exams started only a little more than a week later and everyone had been revising thoroughly. Some Gryffindors even claimed that they saw Fred and George studying for their O.W.Ls. Katie had found her exams to be dreadful, and was extremely relieved as she climbed to Professor Trelawney's classroom for her final exam of the year.

Professor Trelawney called everyone through the trapdoor one by one, and when they emerged after being examined, they refused to tell anyone what had happened because Professor Trelawney told them that horrible things would happen to them if they did.

Katie was second to last to be called up. Professor Trelawney made her look into a crystal ball and report on what she saw. Quite frankly, Katie couldn't see anything in the ball other than swirling, white smoke. She remembered a comment that Ron had made while working with the crystal balls one day in Divination class ("It's obvious what this means. There's going to be loads of fog tonight,") and she laughed out loud in the middle of her exam. Professor Trelawney gave her a calculating look before sending her back through the trapdoor.

"How did it go?" Harry asked apprehensively as Katie climbed down the silver ladder.

"Terrible."

"Harry Potter." Trelawney called.

Harry's exam didn't take long at all. He emerged from the trapdoor after not even five minutes looking pale and shaken, as though he had seen a ghost. Katie jumped to her feet.

"Harry, what happened?"

"P-Professor Trelawney she..." Harry's voice quivered with fear. "She sort of seized up... and her voice went all hoarse, and she told me that Voldemort will rise again, and — and that his servant will return to him tonight."

Katie placed a shocked hand over her mouth. She believed that Professor Trelawney was an old fraud, but Harry seemed to be extremely shaken up, so she knew this must be serious.

Not really knowing how to calm Harry down, Katie suggested that they go find Hermione and Ron. Harry agreed, and the pair rushed down from the North Tower together. Just as they reached the Entrance Hall, Hermione and Ron came bursting in the doors.

"You won't believe what Professor Trelawney just told me—" Harry stopped abruptly when he saw the distraught expressions that Ron and Hermione were wearing.

"We've just been to see Hagrid." Hermione said in a shaky voice. Her eyes started to fill with tears.

"And?" Katie pressed, fearing the worst.

"They're executing Buckbeak at sundown. Hagrid told us we can't be there—"

Ron didn't get time to finish before Harry bolted out the doors. The trio followed behind him and they all rushed down to Hagrid's hut. They all stopped, however, when they spotted Draco Malfoy and a small group of Slytherins huddled behind a tree. They were laughing and pointing at Buckbeak tethered to a fence and awaiting the executioner.

Hermione stood and stared for a few short moments before marching towards the Slytherins. Ron glanced at his friends with fear in his eyes and they quickly followed Hermione.

"Look who's here." Crabbe said, pointing at a very enraged Hermione Granger.

Draco beamed evilly. "Ah, come to see the show?"

"You!" Hermione screeched. "You foul, loathsome and evil little cockroach!"

Hermione whipped out her wand and pressed it up against Draco's throat. He was trapped between the tree and Hermione, and his Slytherin friends had frozen in a state of panic. Draco looked to Katie for help, but she just shrugged at him. She honestly believed that Draco deserved anything that Hermione gave him because of what he had done to Hagrid and Buckbeak (and to her, but she tried not to think about that).