06 || Potions Class

Katie's first class of the day was potions with the Gryffindors, and she definitely was not looking forward to it. Upon entering the classroom, she was greeted with a gloomy and dank space. The lights were dim and oily and the stone walls looked almost green.

Looking around, the only empty seat Katie could find was beside Pansy. Shrugging, she walked over and sat down beside her. Pansy didn't even as much as look at Katie, never mind speak to her.

Sighing, Katie put her head in her hand.

The classroom door flung open and Professor Snape whisked in, his black cape flowing behind him.

"There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class." was the first thing that Snape said. His voice is was blank and drawn out, and he sounded as though he didn't really want to be there at all. He was also sporting a long mop of greasy black hair.

"As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion making."

No one spoke.

"However, for those select few," Snape glanced at Malfoy, "who possess the predisposition."

Compete silence.

"I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and insnare the senses. I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death."

A few whispers broke out and, with a glance in Malfoy's direction, Katie saw that he looked quite intrigued and impressed. Katie also noticed that Harry wasn't paying attention, and he was in fact writing on a piece of parchment.

However, Harry didn't seem like the kind of person who would doodle instead of paying attention. Katie suspected he was just taking notes.

"Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to not pay attention."

Katie felt her heart jolt. A Gryffindor girl with bushy brown hair elbowed Harry in the arm and his eyes snapped up from his page.

Snape fixed his cloak and took a few steps forward. Katie gulped and took a nervous glance in Harry's direction.

"Mr. Potter... our new celebrity." Snape said 'Potter' with such venom that it almost made Katie flinch.

"Tell me what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Snape asked Harry with a challenging look in his eye.

The hand of the girl with the bushy brown hair shot up into the air, but Harry just shook his head.

"You don't know? Well let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?" Snape's cold voice was slow and drawn out, as if he was daring Harry to talk back. The girl beside Harry had her hand so high in the air, it looked as though she was about to fall off her seat.

Harry shook his head again. "I don't know, sir."

"And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

"I don't know, sir."

Draco smirked and Snape slightly pursed his lips. The Gryffindor girl looked as though she was about to explode.

"Pity, clearly fame isn't everything. Is it, Mr. Potter?" Snape said as his lips curled. Harry had clearly lost his patience, and Katie couldn't really blame him.

"Clearly Hermione knows, seems a pity not to ask her." Harry bit back in true Gryffindor fashion. A few people giggled and Katie smiled as she looked down. Even Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle had a little snigger.