63 || Promise

A great clashing noise in the kitchen below woke Katie with a start. She could vaguely hear someone yelling, though she couldn't make out who was yelling or what they were saying (Katie's guess was that Mrs Weasley was scolding Fred and George for Apparating into the kitchen and knocking the pots off the wall).

Yawning and rubbing her eyes, Katie climbed out of bed. As she drew nearer to the kitchen, the yells of frustration became more prominent, and it was very clear now that it was in fact Mrs Weasley that was shouting.

It was merely six in the morning so Katie was not surprised to find only Mrs Weasley and Sirius in the kitchen, as well as Tonks, who had fallen asleep at a small table in the corner and was snoring loudly, apparently so exhausted that Mrs Weasleys shouts couldn't even wake her.

Katie gazed in perplexity at the sight in front of her. All of the pots and pans had been knocked from the walls and jars of food and ingredients lay smashed across the floor (explaining the clashing sound that had woken Katie up), and both Molly and Sirius were madly scrambling back and forth across the kitchen floor, appearing to be chasing something that Katie couldn't see.

"FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, SIRIUS, WHY WOULD YOU BRING THAT THING INTO THE HOUSE!"

"I TOLD YOU BEFORE, MOLLY, I DIDN'T — HAGRID SENT IT!"

"WELL, GET IT OUT!"

"I CAN'T! IT'S FOR KATERINA!"

"What's for me?" Katie asked from the doorway.

Both Sirius and Mrs Weasley stopped shouting. They briefly threw their gazes over their shoulder upon hearing Katie's voice, before returning to frantically scoping the kitchen floor.

"SHUT THE DOOR BEFORE IT GETS OUT AND WRECKS THE HOUSE!" Mrs Weasley cried. Her cheeks were a deep shade of crimson and she was sweating heavily.

Unsure of what it was, Katie nevertheless stepped inside the kitchen and closed the door, just as Sirius made a mad dive under the table that Tonks was sleeping at. Tonks jolted awake with a snort, looking incredibly distorted.

"Huh — s'going on?" Tonks mumbled with a yawn.

"Got it!" Sirius announced. Mrs Weasley let out a great sigh of relief and sunk back into a chair, mopping the sweat from her forehead with her sleeve.

Sirius emerged from under the table. His face was also red — though not as red as Molly's — and he was breathing heavier than usual. In his hands he was clutching a small, furry and writhing creature that was desperately trying to wriggle it's way out of the man's hands. He held the Niffler out to Katie.

"Er — here you go, Katerina, Hagrid brought this for you... don't know why, but—"

But Katie knew exactly why Hagrid had sent her the Niffler.

"Milo!" she beamed. At the sight of her, Milo began to writhe more than ever, and with one harsh lurch, he escaped from Sirius' hands and leapt straight onto Katie's arm, which he climbed up before resting comfortably on her shoulder. He affectionately nuzzled his snout into her ear,making the girl giggle as she stroked the Niffler.

"Oh, so you know that thing?" Mrs Weasley said, eyes narrowed.

"Yeah," Katie replied brightly. It was impossible for her to contain her smile. "We were working with Nifflers in Care of Magical Creatures one day. I really wanted to keep Milo — of course Hagrid said no because he isn't allowed to give away the creatures, but clearly he doesn't follow rules, does he?"

"He destroyed my kitchen!" Mrs Weasley bellowed. She was looking around the disarragnged kitchen with tears in her eyes.

"Nothing a little magic can't fix." Sirius said brightly, and with a swish of his wand, the fallen pots and smashed jars were repaired and placed carefully back in their original places.