55 || Rita Skeeter

Mrs Weasley took Katie and Chris back to the Burrow and insisted that they remain there for the rest of the holidays. Katie quite liked the idea of spending New Years at the Burrow, because she didn't fancy the whispers and stares that would follow her if she went back to Hogwarts too soon.

Bill and Charlie, Ron's older brothers, were staying with their parents for the Christmas holidays, so Katie got the chance to meet them.

Bill was — and there's really no other way to put this — cool. He had red hair like the rest of his family, but he kept it swept back in a ponytail, and he had an earring dangling from one of his ears.

Charlie closely resembled Bill, only he was slightly taller and his hair was much shorter. Charlie was very well built, which probably had to do with the fact that he worked with dragons, as Ron had told Katie. Upon closer inspection, Katie recognised Charlie as one of the dragon tamers from the First Task.

Katie got along very well with Bill and Charlie, but she couldn't say the same for Percy, who was also at the Burrow for the holidays, but he spent the entire time cooped up in his bedroom.

"Are you two alright?" Mrs Weasley asked Katie and Chris for the hundredth time during their stay. They were all sat around the kitchen table enjoying dinner.

"Molly, dear, you just asked them that ten minutes ago." Mr Weasley said softly. Bill laughed at this, but he tried his best to conceal it.

Mrs Weasley shot Mr Weasley a glare. "I'm only checking, Arthur. That Amelia Bones gave them a very hard time—"

"I have to say," Charlie chimed in as he was cutting up his steak. "It was mad — arresting two teenagers for their father's murder."

Percy let out a grunt of indignation. "Miss Bones was only doing what had to be done. When a leading suspect in a case is found, the Ministry must take them in for questioning—"

"Do us all a favour, Perce," Bill said, yawning and leaning back in his chair. "Shut up."

There was a great bang against the window. Katie whipped her head around just fast enough to catch a glimpse of very small owl repeatedly smashing against the glass pane.

"Pigwidgeon." Mrs Weasley grumbled, rising from her seat.

"I've got it, mum." Bill announced. He stood up and walked over to the window.

As soon as Bill opened the window, the miniature owl that looked more like a floating ball of fluff began whizzing excitedly around the room. It was letting out small chirps of glee, despite the fact that it had flown straight into the light quite a few times.

Charlie jumped up and caught the owl with one, quick swipe, which didn't shock Katie — Charlie was known at Hogwarts for being quite the Quidditch player, and Katie made a mental note to ask him for some tips.

Un-clipping a letter from Pigwidgeon's foot, Charlie examined the scribble of writing on the envelope.

"It's for you, Katie." he said, holding the letter out to the girl.

Katie's heart leapt. She hadn't heard from any of her friends since she was arrested. Without hesitation, she took the letter from Charlie and ripped it open, instantly recognising the Ron's handwriting.

𝙺𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚎,

𝙷𝚘𝚠 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞? 𝚆𝚎'𝚟𝚎 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚋𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚍 𝚋𝚎𝚌𝚊𝚞𝚜𝚎 𝚗𝚘 𝚘𝚗𝚎'𝚜 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚍 𝚊𝚗𝚢 𝚗𝚎𝚠𝚜 𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚖𝚞𝚖 𝚠𝚛𝚘𝚝𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚞𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙲𝚑𝚛𝚒𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚑𝚎𝚛.