15 || Neville

The next day, Harry invited Katie to the Gryffindor common room to make amends. Apologises were made and accepted, and suddenly the usual, joyful energy was surrounding the four friends once again.

Ron and Hermione had been playing a game of chess, which Hermione was terrible at. The thought of anyone besting her at anything frustrated Hermione, so you can imagine how angry she could become when Ron beat her at chess every single time.

Hermione had been angrily rambling about how unfair chess was when the portrait hole swung open and Neville stumbled into the common room, falling flat on his face. It was a great mystery as to how he had managed to climb through the hole, because his legs were bound together with a curse. While almost everyone in the room erupted into fits of laughter, Hermione bounced up out of her seat and ran to Neville's aid. She preformed the counter curse before helping Neville to his feet and bringing him over to sit with Katie, Harry and Ron.

"What happened?" Hermione asked the poor boy.

"Malfoy, of course," Neville confirmed, "He said he'd been waiting for someone to practice the spell on."

Katie's worst fear had come true. Sometimes she believed that Malfoy could actually be a good person (she would never admit this to her Gryffindor friends) but then he would go and pull a cruel trick or make a nasty comment for the thrill.

"You've got to stand up to him, Neville! He's used to walking all over people, but that's no reason to lie down in front of him and make it easier." Ron said.

Tears bubbled up in Neville's eyes. "There's no need to tell me I'm not brave enough to be in Gryffindor, Malfoy's already done that." Neville choked out. Feeling sorry for Neville, Katie reached into the pocket of her robes. She pulled out the remainder of the Bertie Botts that Harry had gotten her for Christmas.

"Here," she handed the box to Neville, "They may not all be nice, but you might get a good laugh from them."

Neville sniffled and took the jellybeans from Katie, flashing her a weak but grateful smile.

"You're worth twelve of Malfoy." Harry said and Katie's stomach twisted into a strange, uncomfortable knot. She chose to ignore it, Harry continued on, "The sorting hat chose you for Gryffindor, didn't it? And where's Malfoy? In stinking Slytherin."

Neville sucked in a sharp breath of fear and everyone in the conversation tensed up. The words slipped put of Harry's mouth before he had time to think about or even stop them. All wide eyes averted to Katie, who waved them down and let Harry off the hook.

"It's fine," she almost laughed, "You're right, Harry. Slytherin sucks."

Harry still tried to apologise. "Katie I—"

"Seriously, don't worry about it." Katie brought herself to her feet.

"Oi, where are you going?" Ron said loudly, his eyes trailing after Katie as she made her way across the room.

"To find Malfoy."

Katie angrily wandered the corridors of Hogwarts. She pondered on where Malfoy could be. During a free period, he was usually down by the lake or in the common room. The girl decided that she would check the common room first.

As she was walking, Katie thought deeply about what she would say to Malfoy. Not having the confidence or bravery to tell him off, she would probably just get him to apologise to Neville.

Katie laughed.

"Draco Malfoy? Apologise?" she said aloud to herself with a roll of her eyes.

The sound of Katie's feet aggressively stomping on the hard, polished floors of the halls could more than likely be heard a mile away. She made her way down to the dungeons and, as she turned a corner, walked straight into something — or, someone, more like.