38 || Werewolves

Halloween was spectacular. In fact, it was almost perfect. Katie had spent the bright October day at Hogsmeade with Ron and Hermione. Sadly Harry had not gotten his permission form signed before he blew up his aunt and fled the Dursley's home, so he could not visit Hogsmeade. Truth be told, Katie was, though she felt bad for feeling this way, relieved that Harry wouldn't be attending Hogsmeade in third year. Not because she didn't love his company, because she certainly did, but she did not like the idea of Harry wandering around anywhere that wasn't Hogwarts while Sirius Black was hunting him.

After Hogsmeade, the school returned to the castle for the Halloween feast. This was where Katie's outstanding day started to go downhill.

For the first quarter of the feast, Katie sat at the Gryffindor table and she, Ron and Hermione spoiled Harry with sweets that they had brought back from Honeydukes for him. But all too soon, Professor Snape came swooping down the hall and ordered Katie to return to her house table. Ron tried to argue Katie's case, but this only bought him a detention from Snape. So Katie was doomed to spend the rest of the Halloween feast with Draco Malfoy.

"Say, I wonder why Potter didn't go to Hogsmede..." Pansy inquired.

"He's probably too sacred of the dementors." Draco said and his friends howled with laughter.

"Or maybe he just wanted a day where he didn't have to see your foul face." Katie quipped. The Slytherins went silent, all except Pansy, who shrieked in horror and started cursing profusely at Katie.

After the filling feast, the students piled from the Great Hall. Katie sat herself by the enormous window in the Slytherin common room and gazed out at the wonders of the Black Lake. She had almost nodded off to sleep in the comfortable green armchair when the common room door burst open and the Slytherin prefects came in, yelling frantically.

"Everyone to the Great Hall! Now!"

"What's going on?" Draco Malfoy demanded. A hint of fear was hidden behind his dominant tone.

"Sirius Black," one of the prefects said. "He's here. He's in the castle."

The common room exploded with whispers and shouts of terror at this news. It took the prefects a further five minutes to finally usher their panicking house out of the common room and up from the dungeons. Katie's heart was beating wildly. Her eyes darted around the corridors for any sign of Sirius Black. She did not feel like being jumped by a mass murderer, but more importantly, she did not want him to find Harry.

Slytherin were the last house to arrive in the Great Hall. The tables had been pushed aside and hundreds of plush purple sleeping bags lay dotted across the stone floor. The hall was alive with chatter — both excited and nervous. Katie looked around desperately for anyone that she knew — her friends, her brothers — all she cared about was that they were safe.

"Katie!"

She whipped around to the sound of the voice. "Chris!"

Before Katie had time to speak another word, her older brother dragged her into a hug. He placed a protective hand on the back of her head.

"Merlin's Beard, I was so worried about you." Chris let out a breath of relief.

"Where's Leo? Is he alright?" Katie questioned in a panicked voice.

Chris pointed to the far end of the hall. "He's fine. He's over there with his friends."

"And Harry?"

This time, Chris pointed to the corner of the Great Hall and, sure enough, Harry, Ron and Hermione were grouped together, speaking in hushed voices.

"I'll be right back." Katie told Chris. She gave him an assuring pat on the arm before making her way over to her friends. Harry bound to his feet as soon as he saw her approaching.