17 || Snape

Many weeks had passed since that faithful day in the hallway. Katie had still not returned to her Gryffindor friends and spent all of her time with Pansy. Harry and Hermione would smile and say hi if they crossed paths with Katie in the corridors. As for Ron, he just blanked Katie completely. He would never shoot her mean looks or mutter anything nasty, he would just treat her like any other person who he didn't know and walk straight past her, which Katie thought hurt more than insults and dirty looks.

One night at around half past ten, Katie was sat alone in the common room. All of the other Slytherins had long gone to bed. She was sitting on the green couch by the flickering flames of the fire, wrapped in a black robe, her knees tucked tightly to her chest. She cried silently but heavily.

Upon hearing the sound of footsteps drawing near, Katie hastily wiped her tears and turned to see Draco Malfoy, fully clothed, coming out of the boys dormitory. He eyed Katie suspiciously.

"What are you doing here?" they asked in perfect sync, though they did not laugh afterwards like normal friends would. Instead, they held lingering eye contact that was filled with heavy silence.

"I've got a detention with those Gryffindors. Now, what about you?" Draco said in exasperation. Katie's lips formed a small pout and she shrugged, turning her head away from Malfoy because she felt tears bubbling up in her eyes once again, and if there was one thing she didn't want, it was for Draco Malfoy
to see her cry. Malfoy let out a short, almost inaudible but cold chuckle.

"You're not still crying about Potter, are you?" he questioned, disgust evident in his voice. He started slowly pacing towards Katie, who was staring into the flames and completely ignoring Draco.

"He's not worth it Blair. Besides, you're a Slytherin. You're much better off associating with your own kind."

This was when Katie spoke up.

"My own kind? Like you?" her tone was harsh and almost insulting, though Malfoy did not pick up on that. He thought that Katie was just making a simple statement, when in actual fact, she was offended about being compared to the other Slytherins.

"Of course," Malfoy confirmed, "You're a Slytherin and I'm a—"

"A spiteful, evil, cocky, filthy scumbag." Katie bit aggresively. She finally dared to meet Draco's eyes, which were wide with blatant shock. He had been completely knocked off his feet by Katie's sudden outburst. His mouth hung open and his pale face had somehow grown even whiter.

"What did you just say to me?" Draco growled, his voice low and threatening, his eyes completely shadowed over with dark anger. Katie gulped and fear arose in her, but she did not back down.

"The truth." she stated. Katie stood up and stepped towards Malfoy, coming to a halt when she was only inches from his face. Her eyes narrowed to meet the same, dark, daunting glisten that shone in Malfoy's.

"Let this be a lesson," she began, "Never compare me to yourself again, because I may be a Slytherin, but we all know I have a bite like a lion."

If Draco wasn't at a loss for words before, he certainly was now. Although he was falling apart on the inside, he held his threatening stance and glare.

Katie spoke one final time.

"Now, don't you have a detention to get to?"

Then, she whisked off up the stairs to the girls dormitory, Pansy and her other housemates were sleeping. Katie made the impulsive decision to dress herself and go on a late night walk through the castle. As she was tying her shoelaces, Pansy stirred, let out a groan and rolled over. She squinted through the dark to see Katie dressing herself.