83 || Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes

Diagon Alley had changed. It was no longer full of the cheery atmosphere and lively, bustling shoppers, instead replaced by an almost daunting atmosphere, and the few witches and wizards that dared to be out in public in such troubled times sent panicked glances over their shoulders every time they heard even the slightest rustle of movement. The colourful displays of books, potions ingredients and cauldrons in the windows had been covered by official Ministry of Magic notices, some of which bore advice on securing your home, and others moving black and white pictures of known Death Eaters that were on the loose. Some shops were deserted and boarded up, including Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream Parlour and Ollivander's.

Even with its windows smashed and boarded, Katie still got the same sinister feeling she always received when passing Ollivander's — it had, of course, been the place where she had first grown suspicious about her parentage after Ollivander had insinuated that her father was dead, and that Katie's wand was almost identical to her dad's (Katerina Blair and Anthony Blair's wands could not have been more different).

The only shop in Diagon Alley that was bright and full of customers was Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. Against the dull shops around them, Fred and George's colourful shop contrasted so greatly, and appeared so bright that Katie could feel her eyes beginning to water. The left-hand window was dazzlingly full of an assortment of goods that revolved, popped, flashed, bounced and shrieked.

"This is brilliant!" Ron grinned, laughing, and he and Harry led the way into the shop. Inside was just as colourful as outside, if not more. There were so many customers that Katie could barely get near the shelves. She stared around, looking at the boxes that were piling up to the ceiling. Here were Skiving Snackboxes, trick wands that turned into rubber chickens or pairs of trousers, Self-Inking quills, Spell-Checking quills and Smart-Answer quills.

Katie found herself gravitating towards a cage full of round balls of fluff in shades of pink and purple, all rolling around the bottom of the cage and emitting high-pitched squeaks.

"I see you've found our Pygmy Puffs."

Katie swiveled around to find Fred and George beaming down at her. They were dressed in magenta robes that greatly clashed with their fiery red hair, and Katie was sure they must have grown at least four inches since she last saw them — she barely reached their chins and had to crane her neck to look up at them.

"Hey, guys!" she grinned. "This place is amazing!"

"Thanks," Fred said, taking a chocolate bar from his pocket and biting into it. "So, I heard you're officially our little sister?"

Katie chuckled. "I suppose so."

"Would you look at that," George faked a breath of awe. "You're the first Weasley to not have red hair!"

"That's what I said," Ron had just appeared at George's elbow, laden with merchandise. "How much for these?"

Synchronised perfectly, Fred and George surveyed the many products that Ron was holding and said, "Five Galleons."

Ron looked visibly affronted. "How much for me?"

"Five Galleons."

"I'm your brother!"

"Ten Galleons." Fred and George shrugged, making Katie snort and Ron let out an aggravated grunt. The twins turned back to Katie.

"Have a Pygmy Puff for free, go on, we'll let you." George said, nodding towards the squeaking balls of fluff.

"They are quite cute," Katie hummed as she gazed down at the Pygmy Puffs. "But I've already got a Niffler and one magical creature is trouble enough."

While Fred and George chuckled, Katie just about caught a glimpse of Harry, Ron and Hermione disappearing under Harry's Invisibility Cloak. Frowning, she watched as the door to the shop opened and seemingly no one exited or entered.