16 || Nicholas Flamel

Katie was sat alone at the library one Saturday afternoon. She was flicking through the old book that Ron had delivered to her outside the Slytherin common room and the day that she hit Draco (luckily, Malfoy was embarrased by the fact that he had been hit by a girl so he didn't report Katie).

Katie's peaceful reading was interrupted by a flurry of frantic footsteps. The chairs around her squeaked violently as three students pulled them out and sat themselves down. Katie barely had time to process the situation before the familiar voice of Hermione Granger filled her ears.

"We've found him." she said in a hushed and breathless tone. Confused, Katie lifted an eyebrow, urging Hermione to elaborate.

"Nicholas Flamel!" Hermione's voice was quiet but filled with excitement. "We found him!"

Katie didn't know what to make of this news. Her surprised eyes darted between Hermione, Harry and Ron, who all had the same excited expression painted on their faces. Katie let out a string of incoherent sounds and phrases before she finally manged to force out understandable words.

"W-What? How? I—"

Harry slapped a purple card down on the table. Looking at the card, Katie found Professor Dumbledore's smiling face gleaming up at her. Katie reached out and picked up the card. She read the small paragraph of writing aloud.

"Professor Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the Dark wizard Grindelwald in 1945, for the discovery of the twelve uses of dragon's blood and his work on alchemy with his partner, Nicholas Flamel!"

All of a sudden, Hermione jolted and let out a small squeak. Ron's face contorted into a bewildered expression, one that told Hermione she was a bit strange without the words ever having to roll of Ron's tongue.

"Katie, that book you're reading..."

Katie finished Hermione's sentence for her. "Its the one you gave me last week. Why?"

Without an explanation, Hermione ripped the book away from Katie and begun to frantically flick through the pages. Both of Katie's eyebrows raised and Ron gave her a look that read, 'mental, isn't she?'

"I checked this out weeks ago for a bit of light reading, then I let Katie borrow it." Hermione announced. Ron's narrowed eyes scanned the dense book.

"This is light?" he said, sounding disgusted. Hermione momentarily glared at the boy before returning to her searching. A sudden lightbulb lit up inside Katie's head.

"Hermione — page three hundred and forty five."

Hermione speedily turned to said page and let out a gasp.

"Here it is!" she exclaimed. "Nicholas Flamel is the only known maker of the Philosopher's Stone!"

Hermione was expecting her three friends to gasp like she had done, so she was beyond disappointed when Harry and Ron simply stared at her in blank confusion. Katie, however, had previously glanced at the page, and although she wasn't well educated on the topic, she at least recognised the words. Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Honestly, don't you lot read? Here, look at this..." she slid the book over to Harry, who read it loud enough for his friends to hear, but quiet enough so that no eavesdroppers could pick up on it.

"The ancient study of alchemy is concerned with making the Philosopher's Stone, a legendary substance with astonishing powers. The Stone will transform any metal into pure gold. It also produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal. There have been many reports of the Philosopher's Stone over the centuries, but the only Stone currently in existence belongs to Mr Nicholas Flamel, the noted alchemist and opera-lover. Mr Flamel, who celebrated his six hundred and sixty-fifth birthday last year, enjoys a quiet life in Devon with his wife, Perenelle (six hundred and fifty-eight)."

As soon as Harry finished reading, Hermione dropped her finger down atop of the book, and continued to tap it sharply as she spoke.

"That's what's under the trapdoor! That's what Snape wants. The Philosopher's Stone!"

"It's no wonder he wants it! A stone that makes gold and stops you from dying. Blimey! Anyone would want it!" Ron exclaimed, his eyes glowing.

"Hang on, we have no proof that the thing under the trapdoor is the Philosopher's Stone, or that Snape is trying to steal it." Katie cut into the hopeful conversation. Ron scoffed, drawing her attention.

"Of course you're defending Snape, you dirty rotten Slytherin."

At Ron's sudden change of character, Katie felt her heart clench at the same moment in which Hermione let out a horrified gasp. She shot daggers at Ron.

"Ron." Harry warned sharply.

"What?" Ron threw his arms in the air and stood up. "I have a good point. Name one Slytherin that wasn't a treacherous bastard."

Ron paused. His narrowed eyes scanned the three, who were at a loss for words. Ron let out a cold laugh.

"Exactly, you can't. How do we know that she's even on our side? For all we know, she's just a spy for Malfoy." Ron said bitterly. His harsh word's pierced Katie's heart like a thousand knives. Tears began bubbling up in the girl's blue eyes.

"Ron!" Hermione hissed. Katie slowly brought herself to her feet. She looked right into Ron's eyes as her lip trembled.

"Is that really what you think?" she asked. Her voice was shaky and weak, It was obvious that the Slytherin was going to break down crying any moment.

"Yeah, it is." Ron almost growled. Katie's heart clenched once again. She took in a shaky breath, nodded, and a single tear trickled down her cheek. Without another word, she took off straight out of the library. She had barely made it halfway down the hall when she heard Harry calling after her.

"Katie! Wait!"

The girl ignored him and kept on running. To her misfortune, Harry caught up to her and gently grabbed her arm. She tried to shove him off but his grip only tightened.

"Katie, listen—"

She cut across Harry when he had barely even begun speaking.

"It's fine, Harry. It's whatever. I'm a Slytherin, you guys are Gryffindors, we're not supposed to be friends. I'm sorry I ever got in your way." the girl choked out through tears. Harry opened his mouth to respond but, before he could, Katie had shook him away and had taken off once again.