36 || Laugh

After a very filling lunch, Katie made her way across the Hogwarts grounds towards Hagrid's Hut for her first Care of Magical Creatures class. She was unfortunate enough to find herself walking with Pansy and Draco, who was still making jokes about Harry collapsing on the train. He imitated passing out and Pansy let out a roar of laughter. Katie, on the other hand, was not entertained in the slightest.

"You know, jokes tend to get old after you make them a hundred times." she said coolly.

"Oh, come on now, Blair. Loosen up. Have a laugh." Malfoy said casually, turning himself around so that he was walking backwards and facing Katie. She refused to meet his eyes and gazed off to the side.

"I'm not going to laugh at something that isn't funny."

"Alright, alright," Draco grinned and ran a hand through his hair. "You want funny? I'll tell you what's funny. That brainless oaf Hagrid teaching classes is what's funny."

Once again, Pansy broke out in a fit of laughter. Katie scowled at her former friend. When Katie left Hogwarts at the end of second year for summer, Pansy wasn't particularly friendly with Harry, Ron or Hermione, but she certainly wasn't cruel to them, and she was Katie's friend. So when Katie arrived back at school for her third year, she was both bewildered and downhearted by Pansy's sudden change in attitude, but it didn't take a genius to figure out why Pansy had decided to switch up her mannerisms. In fact, it only took Katie less than a day of classes to crack the case. Pansy had a crush on Draco and she was trying to impress him.

Of course it wasn't working. Draco barely paid any attention to Pansy at all. After all, no girl at Hogwarts would ever be good enough for Draco Malfoy, the Prince of Slytherin.

"Seriously?" Draco said, though his grin did not falter. "Not even a chuckle?"

Katie said nothing. Draco's eyes flashed around as he thought of ways to force a giggle from Katie, but he could only come up with one. He rolled up his sleeves, catching Katie's attention, and her eyes finally flickered to him. He smirked and before Katie had time to realise what was happening, Draco excessively poking at her sides. She jumped and swatted his hands away, but he just kept on coming back.

"Stop it!"

"I'll stop when you give in and laugh." Draco replied. He was smiling broadly — a real smile, perhaps? Katie wasn't too sure.

"Draco, I swear to—"

"Oh Merlin's Beard, Katie! Just laugh and he'll stop!" Pansy shouted angrily. Her lips formed a pout an her eyes were narrowed. Jealousy was definitely not a good look on her.

"Yeah Katie," Draco teased, Pansy's jealousy not registering with him. "Just laugh and I'll stop."

"You're not going to make me laugh!" Katie protested, but lo and behold, those very words came out stirred with a beautiful laugh, and Draco punched the air in triumph.

"I made you laugh!"

Katie rolled her eyes and scoffed. "Whatever."

However, when Draco turned around and was no longer looking at her, Katie smiled and pushed her hair behind her ear.

After what felt like a lifetime of pain and suffering, Katie arrived at the hut. Hagrid was waiting by the door for his entire class to arrive and Fang, his dog, was sat at his heels and scanning the students. He clearly wasn't used to being around that many people.

"C'mon, now, get a move on!" Hagrid called out and the class gathered around in front of him. "Got a real treat for yeh today! Great lesson comin' up! Everyone here? Right, follow me!"