65 || Dolores Umbridge

Katie walked up from the dungeons with a merry spring in her step — which was not the attitude that most students had after a visit to Professor Snape's office. She was stopped in the Entrance Hall when Pansy grabbed her arm.

"Hey, no time to talk, we have to get to class, but you're telling me all about what Snape said later. Here's your timetable," Pansy thrust the timetable into Katie's hand. "They handed them out at breakfast. See you later!"

Pansy dashed off up the marble staircase, leaving Katie alone in the middle of the hallway. She scanned down her timetable and almost groaned (but nothing could truly spoil her high-spirited mood). Her first class was History of Magic, followed by double Potions, Divinination and double Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Luckily, she already had the materials she needed for History of Magic, so she took off towards the classroom.

As she arrived in the corridor where the classroom was, she saw that the students had not been let inside yet. They were all lined up against the walls and chatting loudly. Katie spotted Ron's vibrant red hair first, then caught sight of Hermione and Harry beside him. She continued on with a jog.

"Harry! Harry! Harry!" she called excitedly.

Harry spun around, grinning. "Katie, hi—"

Harry had barely uttered two words when Katie almost tackled him with a hug.

"Woah — good morning to you too." Harry laughed.

"Guess what!" Katie beamed, springing backwards. She was almost bouncing on her feet and her behaviour seemed to be startling Ron and Hermione, who were smiling uneasily at her.

"What?" Harry asked.

Taking a deep breath, Katie, who was bursting to share her news with someone, said, "I'm Slytherin Quidditch Captain!"

Hermione and Ron's uneasy smiles were replaced by grins.

"Really?" Hermione said, seeming just as excited as Katie.

"Yeah!" Katie replied, before straightening up and speaking in a voice that was scarily identical to Snape's ugly drawl. "As I am sure you are well aware, Miss Blair, Mr Flint is no longer with us, and I am also sure that you have already been told on countless occasions that you are quite the extraordinary Quidditch player. Therefore, it seems only fitting that I appoint you to the position of Slytherin Quidditch Captain."

Ron shivered violently. "You sounded just like him. That's disgusting."

"Do my ears deceive me?" Chris had been wandering the corridors and passed by just in time to hear Katie's announcement. "My little sister, Quidditch Captain?"

Niall, who was accompanying Chris, gave her a pat on the back.

"Nice one, Kat," he beamed. "We'll still beat you, though."

"In your dreams, Murray, in your dreams."

***

If there was one class that Katie certainly wasn't looking forward to, it was Defence Against the Dark Arts with Professor Umbridge. She entered the classroom with a scowl on her face, only to find that Umbridge was already seated at the teacher's desk, which somehow worsened Katie's mood. Umbridge was wearing the same fluffy pink cardigan from the night before.

Katie slipped into the seat next to Draco.

"Can't wait to see how this goes." Draco mumbled.

"Well, good afternoon!" Umbridge said, rising from her seat and pointing her wand, which was strangely short, at the blackboard. At once, words appeared on the blackboard.