58 || A Sense of Belonging

"This is absolutely ridiculous." Katie mumbled in annoyance as she scrubbed a plaque in the trophy room.

As promised by the Slyther prefect, Katie found herself facing a detention for punching Daphne Greengrass in the face. Her detention just so happened to be cleaning the entire trophy room, plaques and trophies included, using no magic at all. She had been there for hours, the sun had set, and was finally almost finished.

She looked up at the final plaque and read it, shivering when she saw the name engraved on the gold. It read: 'Tom Marvolo Riddle - special services to the school.'

Suddenly feeling very fearful, despite the fact that she was merely looking at a hunk of metal, Katie reached out with trembling hands to grab the plaque. However, just as her fingers grazed the cool gold, she pulled her hand back. It had burned her.

Katie glanced down at her hand, and when she looked back up, she was no longer in the trophy room. Panicking, Katie looked back down, only to find that she couldn't see her body. She was lying in a bed with musky, patched covers draped over her, and she couldn't move.

She opened her mouth to scream, but no sound came out. Instead of hearing her own voice, Katie caught ear of another's voice — her mother's voice.

"What about the boy?"

"Never mind the boy!"

This second voice was icy and shrill. It rattled Katie's bones and made goosebumps erupt on her skin.

"This isn't about the boy, Maria. It's never been about the boy. It's always been about her."

A woman who was undeniably Katie's mum — much younger, but very recognisable — was standing next to a cloaked figure on the other side of the darkened room. The cloaked figure raised it's hand, extended one long, pale and bony finger, and pointed straight at Katie, who felt her blood run cold.

"She is the one, Maria. She is the one that will—"

Katie didn't get to hear the end of the sentence. Her ears were suddenly filled with a violent ringing noise. The entire room was shaking as though there was an earthquake, but neither the cloaked figure or Katie mum seemed to notice. Once again, Katie tried to scream, but once again, no sound escaped past her lips.

Silence fell.

She was back in the trophy room, only now she was slumped against the wall with her head in her hands. Cold sweat matted Katie's neck and forehead, and after a few moments she realised that she was crying — sobbing.

Trembling, Katie got to her feet. Her wide eyes darted around, searching for answers. The Slytherin was feeling exceptionally disorientated and it took her a few moments to gather her thoughts and composure.

She glanced, eyes full of terror, at Tom Riddle's plaque before kicking open the door to the trophy room, then she took off down the corridor. Katie wasn't too sure where exactly she was going, she just knew that she had to get as far away from that plaque as she could.

Katie thought about going to Dumbledore to tell him what had just happened to her, but ultimately decided against it. It was too late to bother him and she needed some time alone to fully comprehend what she had just seen, anyway.

Turning a corner sharply, Katie crashed right into a moving figure. They both fell backwards, grunting in pain, and a third person spoke.

"Oh, dear, that was unpleasant."

Katie rubbed her eyes. Her vision cleared and she saw, standing above her, Professor Dumbledore, who's white beard was glittering in the pale moonlight. On the floor across from her was Harry, slumped over and massaging his head.