54 || The Ministry of Magic

A/N: I don't completely know how law works in Harry Potter (or in real life to be honest lmao) so please just bear with me throughout this chapter.

***

Thanks to the stillness in the Hall, everyone had heard this shocking announcement. Multiple gasps erupted and everyone burst into frantic whispers. Katie stared at the Ministry Witch in front of her, her mouth hanging open in a silent shout. She found herself unable to form any words, and even her thoughts didn't seem to be working properly. A hundred-thousands questions were whirring through her brain, but only one emotion was coursing through her veins — panic.

The girl had frozen stiff in a state of blind panic. All sounds around her seemed to be muffled, as though she was underwater, and dark spots were appearing in her vision. She didn't even notice her own brother push through the crowd.

"What are you doing?" he roared at the Ministry Wizards. "That's my sister!"

Chris tried to heave the wizards off of Katie, but to no avail. They swatted him away like they had done to Harry.

The witch nodded curtly at her counterparts. "Seize him."

The wizard who had been holding Harry back let him go and instead grasped Chris and held his hands firmly behind his back. Chris struggled and writhed but couldn't break free of the man's strong clutches.

"Christian Blair, you are under arrest for the murder of your father, Anthony Blair."

"WHAT?" Chris bellowed. "This is ridiculous!"

A wave of relief crashed down over Katie when she saw Dumbledore appear before her.

"Come now, Amelia," he said beseechingly. "Surely you don't believe that these two teenagers—"

But the witch in the purple robes, who Katie now knew as Amelia, had waved an irksome hand in Dumbledore's face and sharply said, "They were the only people spotted at the crime scene. I'm afraid I have to take them in, Albus, Minster's orders."

Katie looked up at Dumbledore, her teary eyes pleading with him to do something, but both Katie and Dumbledore knew all to well that even he could not sort this situation out — not here, not now.

All that Katie could do was allow herself and her brother to be steered from the Hall as the despondent and thunderstruck eyes of their fellow students followed them. Katie could hear Harry shouting after them — the volume of his voice echoing throughout the otherwise silent room.

The doors of the Great Hall slammed shut, drowning out all sound from within. Shaking with terror, Katie looked aside at Chris, who seemed to be just as helpless as she was. All he could do was shake his head in dismay.

***

Katie had never been inside the Ministry of Magic before, and under different circumstances, it would've been quite a wondrous experience to step inside the Ministry for the first time. She found herself standing at the end of a long hall with a highly polished, dark wood floor. The walls on each side were paneled in shiny dark wood with a green tint, and had many gilded fireplaces set into them for witches and wizards arriving to the Ministry using the Floo Network.

At the very end of the hall was a fountain. A group of enormous golden statues stood in the middle of a circular pool. Tallest of them all was a noble-looking wizard with his wand pointing straight up. Grouped around him were a beautiful witch, a centaur, a goblin and a house-elf. Glittering jets of water were flying from the end of their wands, the point of the centaur's arrow, the tip of the goblin's hat and each of the house-elf's ears.