77 || Occlumens

The cloaked figure — Voldemort — was gliding steadily towards her. It outstretched one long, white hand, so pale it appeared to have never seen the light of day.

"Rise with me, rise with me, rise with me..."

"Wait, what?" a clear voice said in the back of Katie's mind.

Voldemort froze momentarily, before continuing to pursue Katie, though he sounded uneasy now as he called out, "Rise with me, rise with me..."

"No," the voice inside Katie's head said again. "No, I don't think I want to."

"JOIN ME!" Voldemort shrieked.

"GET OUT OF MY HEAD!"

Katie awoke suddenly, panting slightly, drenched in a cold sweat, but was relieved to see that the other Slytherin girls were asleep, meaning that she had not been screaming in her sleep. She rolled over, feeling strangely calm, which was never a sensation she got after one of her dreams or nightmares. Rolling over in her bed, Katie tucked her arms underneath the pillow and was asleep within minutes. This time, her sleep was undisturbed.

"You did what?" Hermione asked Katie later that day as they left Defence Against the Dark Arts.

"I pushed him out."

All of a sudden, Harry turned sharply on his heel, looking vaguely alarmed.

"Oh, I almost forgot," he said quickly. "I have to go!"

Harry turned and had just began to make his way in the opposite direction when Katie called after him.

"Hang on, where exactly are you going?"

Harry's cheeks lit up bright red.

"Remedial Potions..." he said timidly, looking very embarrassed.

Quirking an eyebrow, Katie crossed her arms and stared at Harry calculatingly.

"Remedial Potions?" she repeated. Harry nodded diffidently. "Potter, I'm no Ravenclaw, but I'm not stupid. Snape doesn't do extra lessons, and even if he did, you're not that terrible at Potions. If anyone needs to take extra Potions classes, it's Ron — no offence." she added. Ron merely shrugged fairly.

Harry looked stunned. He gazed crazily at Hermione as though begging her for help, but her expression remained passive.

"I — I really have to go," Harry stammered, beginning to walk backwards. "Don't want to be late or Snape might give me a detention."

Katie watched Harry dart down the corridor until he disappeared behind a corner. Arms still folded, she rounded on Ron and Hermione.

"He's not doing remedial Potions, is he?" she asked. Ron glanced fearfully at Hermione, who let out a heavy sigh.

"No," she admitted with a frown. "He's not, but I thought he would've told you."

The three of them began walking steadily through the hallway towards the Great Hall for dinner. Katie's stomach was rumbling violently. She had skipped lunch because Crabbe and Goyle needed some extra Quidditch training. Despite the fact that they had won their last game against Ravenclaw, Crabbe and Goyle were still quite awful players and needed added training sessions.

"So, what's he up to, then?" Katie asked casually. Ron and Hermione, however, did not respond, and Katie cast a sceptical look at the pair of them. "Well?"

Hermione gulped harshly. "Well, it's not really our place to say... Can we talk about your dream?" Hermione added hastily upon seeing the piercing flare in Katie's eyes. Although she wanted to express her anger about the trio suddenly keeping secrets from her, Katie also desperately wanted an explanation as to why she had been able to not only recognise that Voldemort was obstructing her dream, but also push him out of her head.