25 || The Bludger

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Katie's character will start to get a lot more interesting as the story goes on. I promise she's not just there.

-

Katie's first Quidditch match of the season rolled around very quickly. Of course Slytherin were playing Gryffindor. That seemed to always be the game that kicked the season off.

Katerina was awake and in the Great Hall for breakfast bright and early. So early, in fact, that the only other Slytherin in the Hall was Malfoy. They sat across from each other and engaged in casual conversation.

"Feeling confident?" Malfoy asked. Katie grinned. She was, in fact, feeling very confident, and not because of her Nimbus Two Thousand And One. In fact, she was considering using the broom that she had bought herself over summer, feeling guilty about flying with the racing broom when some Gryffindors were still using Cleansweeps

The real reason she was feeling so confident was her new position. While Katie was an exceptionally good seeker (though, nothing compared to Harry) she had always been a chaser while playing Quidditch in her back garden with Chris and his friends. She was excited to see if she still had her chaser's blood.

Chris was a Gryffindor chaser, as was Niall, along with a girl named Angelina Johnson.

"Yeah," Katie nodded happily. "You?"

Malfoy smirked. "Of course."

At the stadium, Hermione and Ron wished Katie good luck before the Slytherin girl disappeared into the changing room. The game had since begun, and Slytherin were winning sixty points to zero. Katie was a really good chaser, rivalling her brother for skill out on the pitch. In fact, she had scored three out of the six goals.

"Johnson with the Quaffle — look at her go — she takes her shot — blocked by a Bludger! Dirty rotten Slytherins—"

"Jordan!"

"Sorry, Professor. Slytherin in possession — passes the Quaffle to Blair — she's off — Murray intervenes — Blair dodges — she shoots — SHE SCORES! Now, you all know how much I detest those bloody Slytherins—"

"JORDAN!"

"Let me correct myself... You all know I am a proud Gryffindor, but Merlin! Katerina Blair is good!"

Katie giggled to herself, her face glowing red with both pride and embarrassment. She was so caught up in the game that she didn't notice the rogue Bludger that had been following Harry for the past ten minutes. It was only when Fred and George Weasley whizzed past her, swopping straight upwards, that she realised something was wrong.

Becoming distracted from the game, Katie looked above her to see the Weasley twins circling Harry Potter like a hawk and repeatedly beating away a Bludger that seemed to have taken an interest in the second year boy.

"Blair!" someone yelled. Suddenly more alert, Katie looked down just in time to see the Quaffle spinning towards her. She caught it before it hit her square in the face and flew in across the pitch, dodging every obstacle in her path. Only when both Chris and Angelina surrounded her did Katie pass the Quaffle to one of her fellow Slytherin chasers — who missed the hoop when shooting. Chris smirked at his sister before flying away.

A loud gasp erupted from the stands. Katie's eyes snapped downwards and she caught sight of Harry clutching his right arm. She knew instantly that the Bludger had hit him.

Malfoy was hovering a few feet away from Harry with a sneer on his face, taunting the Gryffindor seeker. However, Harry lunged forward, and Malfoy was too late to realise that Harry was not attacking him, but reaching for the Golden Snitch that had been floating by the blonde's ear.

Although Gryffindor had won, Harry lost control of his broom and fell to the ground, passing out moments later. Katie was about to join the Gryffindor team and fly down to check on Harry, but she was summoned to the changing room by Flint.

Flint was not at all pleased. He began lecturing the team, only stopping when Malfoy spoke out.

"That was such a horrible performance from everyone," Malfoy spat. "You ought to be ashamed of yourselves."

Anger consuming her, Katie sprung up out of her seat. "Excuse me!" she barked. "You're the one who was too busy ogling Harry to notice the bloody Snitch that was right beside you."

"That's rich coming from you! Pulling up early — practically handing the Snitch to Potter yourself." Malfoy bit back.

"That's the only Snitch I ever missed, Malfoy. Not to mention Harry is the best seeker in the school."

"With that knowledge I can use the same excuse for not catching the Snitch today!"

"IT WAS HOVERING BY YOUR EAR FOR HALF A MINUTE!"

"Both of you, shut up!" Marcus Flint bellowed, which quickly silenced the two second years. They glared at each other bitterly before slumping back down into their seats.

Flint's eyes landed on Graham Montague, another chaser. "Blair, Montague, there's no denying that you both played impeccably today. I have no clue why you didn't try out for chaser last year, Blair. You're outstanding."

Katie snuck a smirk at Malfoy, who's eyes were narrowed in annoyance.

"We need a new game plan," Flint continued. "We can't afford to lose another game. Malfoy, if you don't get your act together, you're off the team, do you understand?"

Draco merely grunted.

"Blair, I'd like to keep you as chaser, but if Malfoy leaves," he glared at Draco, "then you'll be seeker again. We have plenty of people to fill in as a chaser."

Katie nodded.

Flint scolded the team for a few more minutes before he finally dismissed them. Katie rushed ahead of the rest of the Slytherins, heading straight for the hospital wing as soon as she got to the castle.

Upon entering the hospital wing, Katie found the entire Gryffindor team huddled around one bed. Katie assumed that Harry was in that bed, so she made her way over, sliding into a gap in the crowed. All eyes were instantly drawn to the green robes that stuck out amongst the red ones. Angelina seemed to be the only Gryffindor that was bemused by the fact that a member of the rival team had come to visit Harry, but she quickly realised how friendly they all were with Katie and she softened up.

As soon as he saw Katie, Harry sat up and grinned. "Katie!"

"How are you feeling?" Katie asked. She grimaced when her eyes landed on Harry's arm which, for a moment, she thought was a rubber glove hanging out of his sleeve.

"M'fine." Harry grumbled.

Ron, who's presence Katie only just noticed, scoffed. "Bloody Lockhart. He tried to mend Harry's arm and ended up getting rid of all the bones."

"Does it hurt?"

"No," Harry said, "But it doesn't do anything else either."

"That was some great flying, Kat." Niall grinned. The rest of the Gryffindors nodded and hummed in agreement.

"I know I shouldn't be happy about Slytherin having a good player, but, Merlin's beard, I couldn't be prouder!" Katie's brother beamed. Katie blushed furiously as Fred and George pat her on the back.

"That was a great catch, Harry." Katie said, wanting to pull the attention away from herself.

Ron grinned. "Malfoy's face... he looked ready to kill!"

"Stupid git tried to blame us for losing the game." Katie snorted, referring to the rest of the Slytherin team.

"No way." Fred (or George, Katie still could not quite tell them apart) said in disbelief.

Barely any time had passed when Madam Pomfrey let out a cry of rage and ushered everyone from the hospital room, muttering about how Harry needed to rest.