87 || The Danger

A/N: I made an instagram based around my wattpad account. My user is @/swkatiie and I post edits for my original characters and text posts too. It'd be cool if you could check it out :)

My pinterest is @/swkatiie and I have boards for both this book and Let Me Breathe.

.
.

"Voldemort killed his father?" Katie gasped.

"Yes," Harry told her. "And his grandparents too."

There was a sharp shushing from behind a tall bookshelf. Katie, Harry, Hermione and Ron were gathered around a table in the library and Harry had just told him what he had found out only the night before during one of his lessons with Dumbledore.

"But how did he get away with it?"

"Stop asking so many questions!" Ron snapped, earning himself a harsh elbow in the ribs from Hermione and a glare from Katie.

"It's been over a month, can't you get over the fact that Draco and me—"

"No, I can't," Ron said flatly. "I don't understand what you see in the git."

"And I don't understand what Lavender sees in you." Katie snarled.

Ron opened his mouth furiously to argue back, but Harry spoke loudly, drowning the two of them out.

"Tom Riddle framed his uncle, Morfin Gaunt, for the murder, Morfin went to Azkaban and Tom went on with his life." he explained.

"And Morfin just let himself get taken to Azkaban?" Hermione inquired, and Katie took notice of how Ron didn't have a go at her for asking questions.

"Dumbledore says that Riddle modified his memory. But there's more," Harry leaned across the table, cast his eyes around to ensure that no one was eavesdropping, then said very quietly, "Dumbledore showed me a memory of Professor Slughorn's..."

And Harry went on to explain how Slughorn had taught Tom Riddle, how Riddle had asked him about something called a Horcrux and, according to Slughorn's memory, received no answer. However, this memory had been tampered with, and Dumbledore had set Harry the task of retrieving the authentic memory from Slughorn.

"How're you supposed to go about that?" Ron asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I dunno," Harry shrugged. "I suppose I'll just have to charm him, won't I?"

Katie snorted. "Harry, you have about as much charm as the giant squid."

"You went out with me." Harry pointed out, sounding half offended, half amused.

"Lucky you." Katie smirked, to which Harry responded with a joking sneer.

Katie looked down at her watch, her heart missed a beat, and she sprung to her feet and swept all her books into her bag.

"I've to go meet Draco," she announced, and Ron gave an annoyed grunt that Katie chose to ignore. "See you later."

***

"Katie! Katie! Wake up!"

Katerina's eyes snapped open. She was lying on the stone floor of the Potions classroom, drenched in cold sweat, with the entire class (although it was only eleven people) standing over her). Her head was pounding, the light was blinding her, and despite her confusion, the memory of what had just happened came trickling back to her and she leapt to her feet, ignoring her sudden dizziness.

"Miss Blair!" Professor Slughorn cried weakly as Katie stood up abruptly. "Please sit back down! You shouldn't stand up so quickly after fainting—"

"I have to see Professor Dumbledore!" Katie cut across him rudely, but formalities did not matter now. This was a life or death situation.