106 || Escaping Malfoy Manor

Katie and Draco had gotten a compartment to themselves on the Hogwarts Express. They were returning to Malfoy Manor for the Easter holidays and Katie was not at all excited. For most of the train ride, she sat in silence, staring out the window, her head leaning against the rain-splashed panes.

"Nervous?" Draco asked, glancing up from the book that he had been reading.

"Can't say I'm thrilled to be going back to the house where I'm being help captive." my mumbled miserably.

Draco frowned and took her hand. "I promise Easter is going to be better than Christmas," he assured her. "I'll make sure of it."

How Draco was supposed to make an enjoyable time out of Katie's two weeks being locked up and surrounded by people that she despised, Katie didn't know. Draco's promise that Easter would be better than Christmas was broken as soon as they arrived at Malfoy Manor. Narcissa Malfoy was waiting for them on the platform to escort them home. As they walked up the long, wide, hedge-shadowed driveway of the Manor, Narcissa kept throwing nervous glances over her shoulder, as though she was expecting someone to leap from the tall hedges, grab Katie and Draco and disappear with them.

Lucius Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange were flanking the front doors like security guards, which Katie thought was odd because Mr Malfoy no longer had a wand — Voldemort had made sure of that. Lucius and Bellatrix said nothing as Narcissa led the two students into the Manor, nor did they come inside after them. The doors slammed shut and Lucius and Bellatrix remained outside, guarding the doors.

"What are they doing?" Draco asked, referring to his father and his aunt, but his mother only shushed him.

Narcissa's shaking hand clamped onto Katie's shoulder. Katie could feel panic growing inside of her. What was going on? Why was everyone acting so suspicious?

"He's — he's waiting for you in there, Katerina." Narcissa stammered, pointing to the grand room. A shiver ran down Katie's spine. How had she not been expecting this.

Katie and Draco exchanged a single, fearful look before Katie nodded and entered the grand room. The table and chairs had been put back in place as she and Bellatrix no longer needed the area for training. With a horrible case of déjà vu, Katie spied Voldemort sitting at the head of the table. He was twirling his wand idly around his fingers and staring straight at Katerina, his red eyes glowing with malice. Katie got the feeling that this meeting would not be as civil as their first.

She knew what Voldemort was going to tell her to do, so she crossed the floor and sat down opposite him before he could ask her to do so. Voldemort placed his wand down on the table but kept his palm resting atop of it.

"You have not done as I have asked," he said, his voice raspy and cold. "I sent you back to Hogwarts with strict orders to help Severus Snape take complete control of the school and the students within it."

"Snape seems to be doing just fine on his own." Katie said.

Voldemort let out a huff of annoyance.

"There is a rebel organisation in the school," he went on. Katie's stomach lurched uncomfortably. "I know not the name of the organisation, nor do I know its members, but I am aware that a band of students meets every week to plot and plan rebellion."

"You're scared of a group of school kids?" Katie arched an eyebrow.

"I have reason to believe that this rebel group is in close affiliation with the secret society known as the Order of the Phoenix."

"The Order was disbanded," Katie lied quickly. "After Sirius died."

Voldemort's eyes narrowed. He surveyed his daughter avidly. Although she would never admit it aloud, Katerina was terrified. She thought she was doing quite a good job at keeping her voice steady and her expression fierce, yet their was no denying the terror that seemed to pulse through her very veins anytime she was in the presence of Lord Voldemort.