88 || Horcruxes

"Katie, can I talk to you for a second?"

Ron had run up behind Katie in the Great Hall just as she was about to leave. Draco grabbed her hand and scowled at Ron.

"No." Draco said flatly.

Katie gave Draco a contemptuous look, then turned to Ron. "I suppose."

Ron pulled her aside and, though reluctantly, Draco waited behind, glaring very darkly at the Weasley. Katie folded her arms and waited for Ron to speak.

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry," Ron said thickly and quietly, cringing as he did so, making it clear that apologising was hurting his pride. Katie arched an eyebrow. "Not that I approve of you and Malfoy — let me finish, please," he added hastily, for Katie had opened her mouth to argue. "I'm not happy about you and Malfoy, but I figured, after what happened with Chris, there's bigger problems than who you're snogging in broom cupboards between classes."

Katie surveyed Ron for a moment, her eyes narrowed, but could not detect even the smallest trace of insincerity on his features. She allowed herself to smile.

"I know you're not much of a hugger," she said, "but I'm going to hug you anyway."

Ron chuckled, rolled his eyes, but still hugged her nonetheless. After this, they parted ways; Katie left with Draco and Ron and Ron returned to his seat at the Gryffindor table. When he sat down, he noticed that Harry was staring after Katerina and Draco with a certain despair swirling in his eyes.

Ron sighed deeply. "I hate to say I told you so," he said softly. "But I did warn you it was going to happen, mate."

Harry blinked furiously, his ears lit up bright red, and he tore his eyes away from Katie and Draco.

"I — what — no," he stuttered. "I — I wasn't looking at them, I was thinking about the Horcruxes."

Ron was not thoroughly convinced but decided it was best not to push Harry any further. He began shoveling spoonfuls of mashed potato into his mouth.

"Still haven't found anything about Horcruxes, then?" Ron quizzed.

Harry shook his head. "Hermione's been searching the library but can't find anything."

Ron gave an annoyed sort of grunt at the mention of Hermione; those two had still not made up, and it seemed unlikely that they ever would.

"Why don't you ask Katie?" Ron suggested casually and, upon seeing Harry's raised eyebrows, elaborated. "I mean, she's a Slytherin, isn't she? People definitely talk about some sketchy stuff down in that common room and I'm sure she's overheard loads."

Harry decided to take Ron's advice, which was not something he did often, and in Charms class he shuffled around to Katie.

"Have you ever heard about Horcruxes?" he whispered.

"No," she responded simply. "I've never heard the word before. After you mentioned it the other day I racked through every book I own but I couldn't find anything. Not a single mention of Horcruxes anywhere."

"Hermione reckons it's really advanced Dark magic." Harry said conversationally, giving a flick of his wand. They were supposed to be trying to make a small fountain of water trickle out the end of their wands and fill a goblet that lay in front of them, but Harry seemed to be struggling.

"She's probably right — Aguamenti!" Katie's goblet was filled with water in an instant and Professor Flitwick awarded Slytherin five points.

"Are you taking the Apparition lessons?" Harry changed the subject to something more casual. Notices had been put up in all the common rooms, informing students that anyone who is seventeen or would be turning seventeen before the end of August were eligible to take voluntary Apparition lessons.