50 || Clock Tower

When Harry Potter returned to Gryffindor Tower on Halloween night, he found that the common room was completely deserted. Readying himself for the explanation that he was going to owe Ron and his other roommates, Harry ascended the stairs to his dormitory.

Harry was not surprised to see Ron, Neville, Dean and Seamus, all in their pyjamas, but sat up on top of their beds and wide awake. As soon as Harry shut the door behind him, he was met with a loud applause and cheers.

"Blimey, Harry!" Seamus cried, grinning. "How'd you do it?"

"I didn't." Harry said quickly.

"You can get Cedric back for the Quidditch match." Dean was saying as he and Seamus pat Harry approvingly on the back.

Neville remained seated on his bed, but he was smiling broadly and gave Harry a thumbs up. Ron, however, was in a completely different mood to the others. Like Neville, he sat on his bed, only his arms were crossed and he was glaring hard at Harry.

"How did you do it?" Ron asked Harry. His tone was much more demanding than Seamus's.

"What?"

"Nevermind, it doesn't matter," Ron grumbled angrily. "You might've let your best friend know though."

"Let you know what?"

"You know bloody well what!"

"I didn't ask for this to happen, Ron!"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Ron growled. "Here."

He handed a piece of parchment to Harry, who squinted his eyes in confusion as he took the slip from Ron.

"What's this?" Harry asked bemusedly.

"It's from Katie. She asked me to give it to you." Ron's tone was still cold.

Harry unfolded the piece of parchment and read Katie's familiar handwriting.

Meet me at the clock tower at 11.
Might be smart to bring the Cloak.

- Katie

Harry knew at once that she was referring to the Invisibility Cloak. Ron climbed under his covers, avoiding Harry's eye.

Frustrated, Harry ran a hand through his unkempt hair.

"I didn't put my name in that cup," Harry said firmly. "I don't want eternal glory, I just wanna be... Look, I don't know what happened tonight and I don't know why, it just did."

Ron stared hard at Harry. "Piss off."

It took a lot of strength for Harry to hold back his anger. Once more, he pushed his hand through his hair.

"You know what?" he said loudly, his frustration evident in his voice. "I can't deal with this right now. I have to go and meet Katie."

***

Katerina Blair sat at the top of the clock tower. Her legs dangled over the edge, aimlessly swinging through the cold night air, as she waited anxiously for Harry to join her.

It was ten to eleven when a distant clatter of footsteps emerged from the stairwell. Katie jumped to her feet and whirled around, hoping to see Harry while fearing that her company would be Filch and she would earn herself another detention for being out of bed after hours.

She blinked confusedly through the darkness when she found that not a single silhouette was in sight. Then she remembered that she had advised Harry to bring his Invisibility Cloak along.