103 || Back to Hogwarts

For a moment, Katerina felt good, she felt triumphant, but this passed like a fleeting shadow and she realised what she had done. Maria Blair's grey eyes, one of her features that she had passed on to her children, stared emptily at the chandelier that was glinting above. Katie felt nauseated as she staggered backwards.

"No..." she whispered, staring down at her own hands, which were trembling. As though it had burned her, she hastily dropped her mother's wand. It clattered to the floor, rolled, and settled by Maria's foot. "No — I — I didn't..."

"Remorse," Voldemort growled venomously. It was no surprise that the Dark Lord did not think too fondly of remorse. "You feel remorse. No matter, some day, you will have killed so many times that it will come naturally."

But Katie wasn't listening. Heavy tears were cascading down her face as her eyes flickered between her mother's lifeless form and her own hands. She had done this. Blood was on her hands — her own mother's blood.

A pulverising silence had engulfed the room. Nobody moved or spoke. Even Bellatrix seemed to be stunned into immobility.

Katie turned sharply on her heel. Despite the fact that her vision was clouded by her tears, she could still see the rippling outline of the open doors and the hallway beyond it. She should have seen it coming; as she moved towards the doors, Voldemort gave a lazy flick of his wand and it banged shut. Katie slowly faced him, her entire face contorted with mingled rage and grief.

"You," she spat. "You manipulated me."

Voldemort chuckled darkly. "I simply released your true self," he said. "You would not have killed her if, deep down, you did not want to."

"I didn't want to!" Katie shouted.

"You tried to kill her two years ago at the Department of Mysteries," Voldemort chided. "Of course you wanted to."

"This was different," Katie sobbed. Through her tears, Voldemort was all but a rippling blur. "I — you made me do it. This is your way of turning me over to your side."

Voldemort laughed maniacally and, as per usual, horrible shivers ran down Katerina's spine.

"And now you're one step closer to rising with me." Voldemort said.

Katie made a quick decision, one that she knew she would not, and could not regret. Her yew wand, the one that was almost identical to her father's, was still clutched tightly in her fingers. She raised the wand with a trembling hand and pointed it against her temple. Voldemort's triumphant grin faltered and something new flashed through his eyes — fear. Katie was crying harder than ever now.

"If you wanted a daughter to fight by your side, you should've had another child, because I won't do it." Katie's voice was shaking from fear and because of her excessive crying, but she still managed to stand tall (well, as tall as she could) and strong.

"Rina, stop it." a small voice said behind her. Katie bit back sobs. She was never going to get the chance to resolve her conflict with Draco; she would never be able to tell him that, although the mere sight of him made her blood boil with anger, she loved him too.

"Yes," Voldemort hissed. "Listen to the boy."

For the first time in forever, Voldemort looked genuinely afraid. He did not dare take a step closer to Katie out of fear that she would blast herself into oblivion.

Katie shook her head defiantly. "I won't be another piece in your twisted game."

Voldemort let out a roar of fury — one that made the very walls tremble. The chandelier smashed, the lamps on the walls exploded, and glass rained down upon them.