34 || History of Magic

Word about Harry collapsing on the train traveled fast, which came as no shock to Katie, because when Draco Malfoy caught wind of an embarrassing rumour, it spread like the plague. At breakfast the next morning, Katie was sat with Pansy and Draco. The blonde was keeping the entire table entertained by telling an over-exaggerated version of the story of Harry passing out, all while Katie awkwardly picked at her food in silence.

"Hey, Potter!" Pansy yelled so suddenly that it startled Katie. "Potter! The Dementors are coming, Potter! Woooooooo!"

Katie elbowed Pansy's arm. "Hey, knock it off." she said disapprovingly, but Pansy ignored her friend, as though she didn't exist, and soaked up the praise she was getting from the rest of the Slytherins for mocking Harry.

"So Draco changed his hair and Pansy changed her personality... noted." Katie said to herself before sighing sadly. She quickly emptied her plate and stood up, which didn't go unnoticed to Draco, who was suddenly more interested in Katie than the thunderous applause he was getting from his housemates.

"Hey, where do you think you're going?"

Katie didn't bother responding. She wasn't in the mood for a confrontation with Draco Malfoy that morning — her first class was History of Magic and she needed to reserve as much mental strength as possible to survive an hour of listening to Professor Binns talk in his drawling tones.

Katie arrived at the Gryffindor table to hear Ron lecturing Hermione about her third year timetable.

"But look, see this morning? Nine o'clock, Divination. And underneath, nine o'clock, Muggle Studies. And look — underneath that, Arithmancy, nine o'clock. I mean, I know you're good, Hermione, but no one's that good. How're you supposed to be in three classes at once?"

"Don't be silly," Hermione snapped. "Of course I won't be in three classes at once.

"Three classes at once?" Katie chimed in. She swung her legs over the bench and sat down beside Harry, who shuffled over to make more room for the girl.

"Good morning, Katie!" a cheery Ginny Weasley called down the table to Katie, who waved happily.

"I see Malfoy is putting on quite the show." Hermione said. Katie turned around and, sure enough, Draco was still pretending to faint with terror. Harry growled to himself so Katie put a reassuring hand on his back to keep him calm.

"Ignore him," she told Harry. "He won't be laughing when you annihilate him in the first Quidditch match."

Fred — or George, Katie still didn't know the difference — Weasley butt into the conversation. "You have to stop rooting for the rival team, Kat."

There was a violent screeching noise as Christian Blair slid up the bench, only coming to a halt when he collided with his sister.

"He's right," Chris nodded. "But in all fairness, you're too good to be playing for Slytherin."

"Stop that—" Katie began, but she was cut off by a thick Irish accent.

"Well, he's not wrong. You'll be playing for the Montrose Magpies in no time. Apple?"

"Good morning Niall. No, I don't want your half-eaten apple."

Niall chuckled. As he was standing behind Katie, he placed a hand on either of her shoulders and bent down so that he could squeeze his face into the small gap between the heads of Chris and Katie.

"Katerina Blair — captain of the Montrose Magpies." he said, his voice filled with awe and wonder.

Ron scoffed. "If you play for any team other than the Chudley Cannons, we are going to have some issues."