112 || Katerina's Final Stand

As Harry's body fell lifeless to the Forest floor, Voldemort crumpled. Katerina couldn't hold back any more — she screamed, louder than she had ever screamed before, but when she tried to run to Harry, Draco held her back.

Whispers and hurried footsteps broke out as the Death Eaters rushed to aid Voldemort, all the while Draco tried to calm down Katie, who was crying and thrashing and doing everything in her power to get to Harry.

"You can't, you'll give yourself away." Draco whispered to her.

"I don't care, I don't care!" she sobbed. Despite how loud she was screaming, the scene she was creating went unnoticed by the Death Eaters, who were all too preoccupied with Voldemort's state.

"My lord... my lord..." Bellatrix whispered worriedly.

"That will do." Voldemort said firmly. There was another rush of footsteps as Death Eaters scattered away from their master. Only Bellatrix remained behind, crouched at his side, her hand held out to him.

"My Lord, let me—"

"I do not require assistance," Voldemort bit coldly. He staggered unsteadily to his feet. "The boy... is he dead?"

No, Katerina thought, he's not dead, he can't be dead...

Then a sudden memory came to her. She was ten years old, her grandmother had just died and her dad, Anthony Blair, was trying to comfort her despite the fact that he himself had just lost his mother. He was telling Katie about the five stages of grief — how the last stage was acceptance, and the first was denial...

Denial.

Nobody approached Harry until Voldemort whipped his wand through the air.

"You!" he bellowed. There was a bang and a small shriek of pain. "Examine him. Tell me whether he is dead."

Narcissa Malfoy hurried across the clearing and bent down by Harry's side. Katie, rage and grief pumping through her veins, turned to look at Voldemort and was shocked to see fear painted on his face. He was afraid to approach Harry himself.

Something had gone wrong. Voldemort was not supposed to collapse along with Harry, and Voldemort knew this.

There was a thick silence as Narcissa examined Harry's body. For the briefest of moments, Katie was filled with a flicker of hope that somehow Harry had survived the Killing Curse once more, but then Narcissa rose to her feet and turned to face the army.

"He is dead!" she announced.

The Death Eaters shouted, yelled in triumph and stamped their feet. Bursts of silver and red shot into the air in celebration.

"You see?" Voldemort screeched over the tumult. "Harry Potter is dead by my hand, and no man alive can threaten me now! Watch! Crucio!"

A small whimper escaped the back of Katie's throat. Harry's body was lifted in the air and, not being able to bear to watch, she turned and buried her head into Draco's chest while he held her protectively.

There were jeers and shrieks of laughter.

"Now," Voldemort said, "we go to the castle, and show them what has become of their hero. Who shall drag the body? No, wait — you carry him. He will be nice and visible in your arms, will he not? Pick up your little friend, Hagrid."