89 || The Truth

A/N (TRIGGER WARNING): Attempted suicide by means of the Killing Curse. Not explicit or graphic, nor is it weighed upon.

A little bit of a shorter chapter but a lot happens!

.
.

Katie and Ron were sat in their beds in the hospital wing, thoroughly disgruntled by the fact that Madam Pomfrey would not allow them to go down to the Quidditch pitch and watch Gryffindor play Hufflepuff. All they could do was stay put and listen to the commentary that they could hear very clearly thanks to the megaphone and, to their great amusement, it was Luna Lovegood who had been made commentator and she said some very funny things indeed.

The match seemed to end rather quickly because Luna fell silent after almost no time at all. Angry roars echoed from the stadium, probably from the losing team, but five minutes later, the door to the hospital wing opened and McGonagall entered. A stretcher was hovering along behind her and both Katie and Ron leapt out of bed when they saw that it was Harry lying on the stretcher.

"Get back into those beds, the both of you!" Madam Pomfrey ordered sternly as she hurried across the dormitory to Harry.

"What happened, Minerva?" she asked, and the two of them moved Harry from the stretcher and into a bed beside Ron.

"A Bludger hit him in the head," McGonagall said. Katie winced. Getting hit in the head by a Bludger was not pleasant, she of all people knew that. "That Cormac McLaggen thought it would be a good idea to take a Beater's club and have a swing at the Bludger himself and... well... I'm sure you can guess what happened next."

Ron smiled but tried desperately to hide it. Clearly, he was very happy to hear that McLaggen had messed up so badly.

After Madam Pomfrey had tended to Harry and wrapped his head in bandages, creating a turban of sorts, McGonagall left the hospital wing and Madam Pomfrey returned to her office. Ginny came by to visit at some point and Harry lay unconscious for hours, and when he finally did wake, he seemed just as confused as Katie had been after she got a bang of a Bludger.

"Nice of you to join us." Ron grinned.

"What happened?" Harry asked, reaching up to touch his bandage turban.

"Cracked skull," Katie told him. "Don't worry, Madam Pomfrey fixed it."

"D'you know how much we lost by?" Harry said to no one in particular. Both Katie and Ron frowned in syncronisation.

"Well, yeah I do," Ron said apologetically. "Final score was three hundred and twenty to sixty."

"Brilliant," Harry growled. "When I get hold of McLaggen—"

"You don't want to get hold of him, he's the size of a troll," Ron said reasonably. "Anyway, the rest of the team might've dealt with him before you get out of here, they're not happy... Ginny came to visit you, by the way."

Katie took note of the way Harry's face lit up when Ron mentioned Ginny's name.

"She reckons you only arrived just in time for the match," Ron went on. "How come?"

"Oh..." Harry said. "Yeah... well, I saw Malfoy sneaking off. Why would he be prowling around the school while everyone else is down at the pitch? Wish I'd followed him now, the match was such a fiasco..."

Katie was overcome with a strong urge to roll her eyes.

"Here we go again." she mumbled. Thankfully, neither Harry nor Ron heard her.

"Don't be stupid," Ron said sharply. "You couldn't have missed a Quidditch match just to follow Malfoy, you're the captain!"

"I want to know what he's up to," Harry said. "And don't tell me it's all in my head, not after what I overheard between him and Snape—"