71 || Alone

Even after Harry stormed up to his dormitory and Katie rushed out of the Gryffindor common room, the tense silence lingered. No one knew what to say and seemed to be scared of moving, so when Ron suddenly got to his feet, the shuffling sound earned the attraction of all the rest of the Gryffindors.

Ron made towards the boy's dormitories but Hermione hastily seized his arm and pulled him back.

"Ron, no..." she said quietly, but Ron writhed free of her grasp and, with a small whimper of desperation, Hermione gave in and let him go.

With no real motive or knowledge of exactly what he was going to say to Harry when they came face-to-face, Ron nevertheless climbed the spiral staircase two at a time. In the dormitory, Harry was trying to undo the buttons on his shirt with violently shaking hands. He started at the sound of the door opening.

"What the hell was that all about?" Ron opened with, his tone rather passive aggressive.

Harry didn't look at him. "What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean."

"It's pretty self-explanatory, if you ask me." Harry shot back bitterly.

With a grunt of frustration, Harry gave up on his attempt to button down his shirt, instead moving his hands to rake through his already disheveled hair. Ron stepped further into the room and shut the door behind him.

"I know you're going through a lot right now, but I think you're being really stupid." Ron said quietly.

"Yeah? Well, unfortunately for you, you don't get to make my decisions for me." Harry snapped. Clearly, he was in no fit mood for a lecture, because despite Ron's passive tones, he was growing more aggravated with every second.

"I'm just saying," Ron continued, "that no one's ever going to look at you the way she does."

For the first time throughout the conversation, Harry's eyes flicked towards Ron, who was now standing in the centre of the room, while Harry had sat himself on the edge of his four-poster.

When Harry didn't respond, let out a heavy sigh, crossed the room and sat down beside Harry, who payed no notice to this, instead continuing to stare out the window.

"You know I'll always have your back, mate, but she's like my sister," Ron said. "She's like my little sister, and I can't just sit back and watch you hurt her."

"Sorry to break it to you, but you don't really have a choice." Harry bit.

Accepting that he wasn't going to get through to Harry — he was too vexed — Ron stood up, shoved his hands in his pockets and walked across the room. He had just put his hand on the doorknob when he turned back around. Harry was still sat, as motionless as stone, staring at the glass pane.

"I'm just saying," Ron began, "you're making a mistake, and I think you should go after her while you still have the chance."

Harry turned his head around and Ron could see that his eyebrows were twisted together in confusion.

"What do you mean 'while I still have the chance'?" he asked.

Ron gawked at him for a moment. "Blimey, Harry, you really are oblivious."