09 || Tryouts

Katie gripped her broom so tight that her knuckles turned white. She looked around nervously at the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh years, most of whom towered over her. The only other first year Slytherin who had shown up to Quidditch trails was Draco Malfoy.

Unlike Katie, Malfoy was standing tall and proud; chest puffed out and a smug look on his face.

Marcus Flint, the captain of the Slytherin team, ordered everyone into groups of ten. All the nervous and trembling first and second years grouped together.

"Alright, I want three laps of the pitch... Go! Go! Move!" Flint bellowed, causing Katie to wince. Quickly and with trembling hands, she mounted her broom and then she was off with her group of ten. It was quite plain and obvious that the majority of the second years had barely ever ridden a broom before. Katie was well trained, and the only person who was really matching her with flight was Draco.

Katie finished the three laps first, landing smoothly on the ground and followed quickly by Malfoy. The remaining younger years wobbled around, landing not so smoothly and tumbling over. Draco scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"Fantastic Blair! Good job, Malfoy." Flint beamed and Katie smiled. Katie wasn't really sure if she wanted to try out for the seeker or a keeper, but in the end, she decided to challenge Draco and try out for the seeker.

"You're making a big mistake, Blair." Draco smirked while narrowing his eyes. Swinging her leg over her broom, Katie looked Draco dead in the eyes.

"Am I?"

And then she took off.

After the tryouts, Marcus Flint had lined up his three chasers, two beaters and keeper.

"Now, all we need is a seeker." he said, turning around to face Katie, Draco and a fifth year that Katie didn't know the name of.

"I think the choice is inevitable." Flint's eyes scanned the three Slytherin's lined up in front of him. Draco had a smug look on his face, much like the fifth year. While Katie was standing in between the two, shaking uncontrollably as her teeth chattered with nerves.

"I wouldn't usually put a first year on the team, but it is only fair to pick the best. Blair, you're on the team."

Katie felt her heart skip a beat as a wide smile split across her face.

"Are you serious?" Malfoy's harsh voice broke the happy silence. Katie and Flint both furrowed their eyebrows as they turned to face Malfoy.

"What?" Katie questioned.

"Is there a problem, Malfoy?" Flint quizzed, stepping towards the first year.

"Uh, yeah, there is."

"Draco—"

He cut Katie off. "I deserve to be on the team more than anyone else here. But you're going to put her in the seeker position?!"

"What the bloody hell is that supposed to mean?" Katie growled, getting in Draco's face. They were so close that their noses were almost touching. Katie could feel the angry heat radiating off Draco and her heart began to pound. All of a sudden, Malfoy's face split into a wide smirk.

"Take our your wand. Let's go a few rounds. We'll decide who's really fit for the seeker." Draco sneered, narrowing his eyes. Katie stepped back, her mouth hanging open in shock.

"You want me to fight you?" Katie gasped. Malfoy merely smirked in response. He took out his wand and pointed it at Katie's chest. Her breath hitched.

"Alright, that's enough!" Flint bellowed, jumping in front of Malfoy and knocking his wand from his hand. Malfoy barely even flinched. He just stared menacingly up at Flint.

"You'll be sorry." Draco spat, before turning, picking up his wand and striding away from the stadium.

"I'm gonna go..." Katie said quietly. She dropped her broomstick and quickly ran across the pitch without another word.

When Katie got outside the stadium, she found that Harry and Ron were there waiting for her.

"Oh, hey guys!" she smiled cheerfully.

"How did tryouts go?" Ron asked as the trio began to walk.

"I'm on the team!" Katie squealed in excitement and Harry beamed.

"Really? Yes Katie!"

Harry hugged Katie and she tensed up in shock, but quickly relaxed and hugged him back. Ron coughed and, giggling, Katie and Harry pulled away.

"I guess you'll be playing against Harry next week." Ron said and Katie froze.

"Playing... against... Harry?" she whispered in disbelief. Ron smiled and nodded proudly.

"Yep. Remember during the first flying lesson when McGonagall called him inside? She offered him a place on the Gryffinfor team."
Ron explained. Katie couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"Just like that?"

"Just like that." Ron confirmed.

Katie beamed at Harry, who was looking at her with a scared expression that quickly melted away when he saw her joy.

"Harry, oh my God!" Katie shrieked excitedly and Harry chuckled.