46 || The Quidditch World Cup

The sun had barely appeared among the hilltops. The sky was a deep shade of purple, but slowly melted into a pearly pink. Arthur Weasley led nine children (Katie, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Chris, Niall and Fred and George) through the woods next to the Burrow. Fred and George, and Chris and Niall walked just behind Mr Weasley, Harry and Ron next, and the three girls hung back behind the crowd.

Katie was so exhausted that she was surprised her half-asleep legs were even managing to carry her. Up ahead, Mr Weasley was loudly explaining how they were going to use a Portkey, situated at the top of Stoatshead Hill, to get to the World Cup, though Katie wasn't really listening. She yawned loudly and Ginny gave her a look that read, 'I know how you feel.'

As they were trudging through the forests, their heads hung low, expressing their tiredness, two silhouettes became visible amongst the trees, illuminated slightly by the purple of the sky.

"Arthur!" a voice boomed. "Its about time, son!"

Mr Weasley waved as he sped up to meet his mysterious friend. "Sorry, Amos, some of us had a bit of a sleepy start." Mr Weasley said, glancing back at Ron.

The walking party came to a halt in front of Amos, who Katie could now see much more clearly. He was a ruddy-faced wizard with a scrubby, brown beard, and he was smiling broadly.

"This is Amos Diggory, everyone," Mr Weasley introduced the children to the man. "Works for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures."

There was a chorus of a drowsy, "Hello."

At that moment, a branch in a tree overhead shuddered, and a boy jumped down, landing up-right on his feet next to Amos Diggory. Katie recognised him instantly from the Quidditch pitch. He was the Hufflepuff Seeker, though she couldn't quite place a name to his face.

"This strapping young man must be Cedric, am I right?" Mr Weasley said, firmly shaking the boy's hand.

"Yes, sir." Cedric said before redirecting his gaze to the nine other Hogwarts students. He gave them a small wave. "Hi."

Katie, Hermione and Ginny all glanced between each other, trying with all their might not to let grins spread across their face. Cedric was, and it was clear to see, extremely handsome.

Amos Diggory peered good-naturedly around at the kids. "All these yours, Arthur?"

"Oh, no, only the red-heads," Mr Weasley replied, pointing at his children. "Ron, Ginny and Fred and George. This here is Christian Blair and Niall Murray — Fred and George's friends, then there's Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Katerina Blair — Ron's friends."

"Merlin's Beard!" Amos Diggory cried, his eyes widening. "Harry Potter?"

"Er — yeah." Harry said, seeming unsure. Katie got the impression that he was fed up of everyone having the same excited reaction when they met him.

"Ced's talked about you, of course," Amos Diggory continued. "Told us all about playing against you last year... I said to him, I said — Ced, that'll be something to tell your grandchildren, that will... you bet Harry Potter!"

Cedric looked very embarassed, and Harry was shifting around uncomfortably on his feet.

After a few more minutes of talking, the group, now consisting of twelve people, set up Stoatshead Hill. By the time they reached the top, Katie had a horrible stitch in her side and her muscles were threatening to seize up.

Amos Diggory led them to a musty old boot that was sat in the middle of the hill.

"You just need to be touching it. A finger will do." Amos said.