03 || The Hogwarts Express

"Mum, c'mon, let me go." Katie giggled as Mrs Blair hugged her tight for the fiftieth time in five minutes.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm just really going to miss you." Mrs Blair said, cupping her daughter's cheek in her hand.

"I know. I'll miss you too." Katie hugged her mum one last time before moving on to her dad. They smiled at each other and Katie noticed the tears in her father's eyes.

"Dad, are you crying?" Katie smirked.

"W-what? No! It's just a little breezy, that's all." Mr Blair stuttered and Katie rolled her eyes. She gave her father one, long hug.

"Promise you'll write every week?" Katie asked when her and her dad broke away from the hug.

"Of course, honey." Mrs Blair smiled as Mr Blair wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

Katie felt a tug at her skirt. Looking down, she saw her little brother Leo staring up at her with wide and teary eyes.

"Awh, come here you." Katie said, swooping Leo up and spinning him around. Leo giggled as Mr and Mrs Blair watched and smiled. Mrs Blair wiped her tears from under her eyes.

Katie placed Leo back on his feet and bent down so she was at his height level.

"I'm gonna miss you." Leo said sadly and he started to cry. Katie gave him a little smile and wiped his tears.

"I'll be back for Christmas. That's not even four months away. Besides, mum and dad will be at home to keep you company, yeah? Now, stop crying. You're a big boy now." Katie said, giving her brother one last hug and standing up.

"I should probably go catch up to Chris. The train should be leaving any minute." Katie announced with a hint of sadness.

After saying their final goodbyes, Mr Blair, Mrs Blair and Leo all watched with tears in their eyes as Katie grabbed her trolley and ran into the barrier between platforms 9 and 10, disappearing completely.

Katie emerged on Platform 9 3/4 and couldn't help but smile. The red steam train was already puffing small amounts of smoke. The platform was noisy and bustling. Parents were crying and saying goodbye to their children. Katie admired the scene in front of her.

Chris was standing a few feet away, waiting for his sister.

"You took your time, didn't you?" Chris joked and Katie rolled her eyes. "You can sit with me and my friends on the train if you want." Chris suggested and Katie let out a blunt laugh.

"Me, sit in a train compartment with you, Niall and Oscar? Yeah... not a chance."

Chris shrugged. "Suit yourself."

After heaving her luggage onto the Hogwarts Express, Katie scooped her black and white kitten—called Felix— up in her arms and made her way down the train corridor to find a compartment.

Most of the compartments were close to full. She glanced in to once compartment and saw Chris and his two best friends, who were already feasting on a batch of chocolate frogs. Before they could notice her, Katie quickly skipped off to find another compartment.

The only one she could find was inhabited by a single person. He had a mop of messy black hair and was staring out the window. Shrugging, Katie slid open the compartment door.

"Hey, I hope you don't mind but—"

Katie stopped talking when a pair of evergreen eyes turned to face her.

"Harry!"

"Katie!"

Katie shut the compartment door and sat down opposite the boy she had met in Diagon Alley.