72 || The Hallway

December arrived, sprinkling Hogwarts in sparkling snowfall. Unfortunately for the fifth years, they were assigned mountainous amounts of homework to be completed before the Christmas holidays. On top of all of her classwork and school work, Katerina Blair was using every minute of her free time to devise a new training programme for the Slytherin Quidditch Team. She would often stay up until the early hours of the morning, scribbling notes and plotting new techniques and formats that her team could use. Despite her efforts, her plans always proved to be great failures, as the team couldn't seem to get them right during training.

On one particular night in mid-December, Katie was sat cross-legged on the hearthrug scratching lines across parchment by the light of the crackling fire. Everyone else had gone to bed and she was the only one left in the common room — until she heard footsteps from behind the door to the boy's dormitories.

She reeled her head around and looked over her shoulder.

"What are you doing up?" she and Draco said together.

Draco's eyes scanned the girl that was sat on the floor, before trailing down to the piece of parchment sprawled out in front of her. She hitched it from his view.

"You're working yourself too hard." Draco sighed, crossing the dimly lit common room.

"No I'm not," Katie countered, but at that very moment, she let out a loud yawn. Draco narrowed his eyes at her. "Draco, look, " she began miserably, "if we lose any more games, I'll be demoted."

"No you won't." Draco argued.

"Yes, I will," Katie said sternly. "You know what Snape's like. So if I don't come up with a training plan that fits the team..."

"I think our original one worked just fine." Draco shrugged nonchalantly, stretching himself out on the couch. Katie was still sat on the floor.

Katie raised an eyebrow cynically. "We lost our first game."

"You're right," Draco simpered. "Our team is rubbish, you should just kick everyone off and play by yourself—"

"Oh, shut up." Katie scoffed, throwing a book that she had been leaning on at Draco, who ducked out of the way, laughing.

"What are you doing up, anyway?" Katie inquired as she folded up the piece of parchment that had her training plan written on it.

"Left my wand down here — stupid, I know," he added when Katie glared scrutinisingly at him. "Have you finished Snape's essay."

Katie's stomach flipped horribly.

"Snape gave us an essay?"

She could feel the blood draining from her head. Draco nodded and her heart dropped down, settling at her navel.

"You didn't do it?" Draco asked. Katie shook her head frantically. "Oh, you're so done for, it's due in the morning."

"What's it on?" Katie quizzed, leaping to her feet and snatching up her bag that had been resting at the foot of an armchair. She began to root through her bag in a desperate search for her Potions book, only to stop abruptly when she heard stifled laughter coming from behind her. Glowering menacingly, she slowly turned her head to look back at Draco, who was shaking with suppressed laughter.

"There's no Potions essay, is there?" she asked darkly.

Draco finally allowed himself to laugh. "You should've seen your face."

"I'm going to get you back for that." Katie said bitterly.

"Oh no, what are you going to do?" Draco said in a tone of mock-fear.